Soen - Lykaia

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Nos

Soen - Lykaia

Postby Nos » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:26 pm

So this comes out Friday, and there hasn't been much talk anywhere on the net I've seen about it. I just got to hear it twice, and I'm really puzzled why they aren't getting far more buzz for this.

We've all been complaining for a few album cycles now that Opeth has gone to shit. Well, this album drops almost all of the Tool worship Soen started with, and goes HEAVY on the Opeth influence. There are riffs here that sound straight off "Blackwater Park". Not only is this the best of Soen's three albums so far, but it really is the closest thing we're ever going to get to what we were hoping Opeth would be when the dropped the growls.

It's a beautiful metal record, and sounds fantastic with the more organic production approach. It's the right balance of heavy and soft, intricate and spacious. Opeth can only wish they could make a record like this nowadays.

This is seriously great... and that's coming from me.

Here are the two pre-release tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CvvggCPrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRH9ADDqLIM

Scott B

Re: Soen - Lykaia

Postby Scott B » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:48 pm

The album is very well done. I think this is not etting a lot of buzz is because there are a lot of bands out there doing Opeth better than Opeth does, and if I'm going to go for an Opeth clone, I'll take mine with growlies in it.

There is also just an absolutely unmanageable quantity of new music all the time. It's getting increasingly hard to give one album a whole lot of time, unless it really grabs you. This one is good, and I will probably go back to it again if a break opens up, but there really is a flood of new stuff every week.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't know that this band is ever going to settle into doing 'their own thing'. First disc was heavyily Tool, second was a transition (really liked it, tho), and this third (I've only heard the two songs) is heavily Opeth, which I don't mind, because I wasn't done with heavier Opeth even though Opeth was done with it. Plus, there's just something about Lopez's drumming that I LOVE, so this has rocked to the top of the list of things I need to probably just blind-buy.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:37 pm

This is a solid release, but in no way on the level of Blackwater Park imo. BP has far more interesting, and involved song structures with those long, glorious instrumental passages. This one is much more by the numbers in comparison.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Sparky wrote:I don't know that this band is ever going to settle into doing 'their own thing'. First disc was heavyily Tool, second was a transition (really liked it, tho), and this third (I've only heard the two songs) is heavily Opeth, which I don't mind, because I wasn't done with heavier Opeth even though Opeth was done with it. Plus, there's just something about Lopez's drumming that I LOVE, so this has rocked to the top of the list of things I need to probably just blind-buy.

I'll 2nd the love for Lopez. Opeth's drumming never struck me the same since he left. Great live too. Love his style!

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm

ToddS wrote:This is a solid release, but in no way on the level of Blackwater Park imo. BP has far more interesting, and involved song structures with those long, glorious instrumental passages. This one is much more by the numbers in comparison.

I think this largely rests at the feet of the guitarist, who is no Akerfeldt. He's okay, but he's not trying to blow anyone's hair back, either.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:08 pm

ToddS wrote:This is a solid release, but in no way on the level of Blackwater Park imo. BP has far more interesting, and involved song structures with those long, glorious instrumental passages. This one is much more by the numbers in comparison.

I only said that parts of the riffing sounded like that album. Although, there are definitely parts on "Blackwater Park" where I feel like Opeth wandered far too much. The three tracks leading up to the closer were indulgent.

I like the fact that this is more straight-forward, leaving the actual music to be intricate, as opposed to simply not repeating anything for ten minutes.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:53 pm

This is interesting because I hate Opeth...ok, so 'hate' is too strong, but I'm not a fan at all. I read all the Opeth comparisons and whilst I'm not for one second denying the similarities, this is something quite different in tone, feel and ambience. I absolutely love it. The melodies are way stronger than Opeth, it's more 'to the point' and is exquisitely written.

I know I've opened up a whole can of self-induced whoop-ass with these comments but hey, I can occasionally be controversial! :wink:

Oh & here's my review of you're interested...

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

Cheers,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Sparky wrote:

I think this largely rests at the feet of the guitarist, who is no Akerfeldt. He's okay, but he's not trying to blow anyone's hair back, either.

Completely agree with you here Sparky. Also, the 2nd guitarist was quite good. Don't recall how much he was involved in the writing though.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Nos wrote:

I only said that parts of the riffing sounded like that album. Although, there are definitely parts on "Blackwater Park" where I feel like Opeth wandered far too much. The three tracks leading up to the closer were indulgent.

I like the fact that this is more straight-forward, leaving the actual music to be intricate, as opposed to simply not repeating anything for ten minutes.

Fair enough on the riffing. Even that often sounds like they are trying to hard to be Opeth, or just plain left over Opeth sounding.
As far as being indulgent, this is exactly what I expected you to say. lol There is nothing indulgent about Blackwater Park at all. Especially by prog-metal standards.
Nothing against your preferences, but this is what prog-metal is about. Not being "straight-forward".

Like Sparky, I also wish Soen would find their own way, because there is talent there.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:This is interesting because I hate Opeth...ok, so 'hate' is too strong, but I'm not a fan at all. I read all the Opeth comparisons and whilst I'm not for one second denying the similarities, this is something quite different in tone, feel and ambience. I absolutely love it. The melodies are way stronger than Opeth, it's more 'to the point' and is exquisitely written.

I know I've opened up a whole can of self-induced whoop-ass with these comments but hey, I can occasionally be controversial! :wink:

Oh & here's my review of you're interested...

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

Cheers,
Matt

There is a different vibe here Matt, I agree. I don't think the melodies are stronger than Opeth in the least, but I think I get what you are saying in that it's more to the point in comparison.
We all have our taste, preferences and views, so its cool man. ;) For what its worth, I generally prefer the more complex stuff.

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:This is interesting because I hate Opeth...ok, so 'hate' is too strong, but I'm not a fan at all. I read all the Opeth comparisons and whilst I'm not for one second denying the similarities, this is something quite different in tone, feel and ambience. I absolutely love it. The melodies are way stronger than Opeth, it's more 'to the point' and is exquisitely written.

Yes, Soen comes across more melancholy in the heavier parts than Opeth was. At least for this album, they're more consistent when it comes to melodies. Akerfeldt had some great ones in the old days, but never this many on a single album. The Soen sound is more focused, so I think it benefits the writing.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 am

I'm enjoying this album very much, and getting more from the prior two albums that I'd largely ignored as well. I really miss Lopez in Opeth, so hearing him in this ToOpeth band scratches an itch that neither original band has managed in a decade.

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 am

Packgrog wrote:I'm enjoying this album very much, and getting more from the prior two albums that I'd largely ignored as well. I really miss Lopez in Opeth, so hearing him in this ToOpeth band scratches an itch that neither original band has managed in a decade.

This is easily my favorite album of the year so far, but it hasn't spurred such a reaction in me. My opinions of their first two haven't changed. The first is solid, but too blatant on the Tool-isms, and I just don't get the second at all.

That's why I'm so shocked "Lykaia" is something I'm loving so much. There wasn't any reason for me to think it would hit me. But it did. It's an awesome record, especially with the extra track "God's Acre" thrown in.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 am

To be fair, I'd only listened to the first one a couple of times and forgot about it, and hadn't even known about the second until hearing about the third, so it's been a mix of all three at once for me. Third does seem more liberated from the Tool-isms, though. I neither miss nor mind the Tool side, but I do find solace in Soen sounding more like the Opeth that I loved than Opeth have since Lopez left.

tl;dr: I'm enjoying Soen, particularly this new one.

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Packgrog wrote: I neither miss nor mind the Tool side, but I do find solace in Soen sounding more like the Opeth that I loved than Opeth have since Lopez left.

That's a big part of it, definitely.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:14 pm

The only odd thing for me is that the album title keeps making me think of "Lyekka" from the TV show "Lexx". Gorgeous woman, terrible show.

Return to “PM: Core”