New Ayreon video

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Harvester

New Ayreon video

Postby Harvester » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU

Looking forward to arm wrestling Tommy the next time I see him.

Nos

Re: New Ayreon video

Postby Nos » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am

I don't know, I just can't get into Ayreon at all. Sure, there's lots of musical ideas, but I feel like Arjen writes too much to the story, and the songs suffer for it. I've rarely heard a great melody from him, and even when there is one, it rarely gets highlighted and returned to. It's all too linear; idea, idea, idea.

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 pm

While I understand your point & apprecite your eloquent posting style, I will be honest. I would rank you at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of trusting your judgement on progressive rock/metal as a whole (not just Ayreon).

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I must say that was quite awesome! I hope the entire record is on that level.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Avoiding listening to anything until I have the whole album in hand. Arjen has rarely let me down, and even his "down" moments are higher than many bands "high" moments. "Theory of Everything" didn't work for me as I am not a fan of the whole one disjointed single song epic concept, in most cases. Green Carnation, Fates Warning, and Edge of Sanity are the only ones to pull it off successfully so far. Regardless, that album still had moments of brilliance throughout. If this follows in the mold of the rest of his material, I'll be a happy camper.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I've abandoned my attempt to not be hyped about this album. The tune is awesome! I thought the video was really cool and well delivered. I'm not sure I've seen a video in quite that form before.

Hammond organs in metal is still one of my favorite things ever.

Esanssi

Postby Esanssi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:59 am

The Human Equation was the last Ayreon album that I bought and listened but this grabbed my interest! Love the bluesy part starting from 8:30. Really has the feeling of Into the Electric Castle (Best Ayreon album to date!).
The long road is a rainbow and the pot of gold lies there. So slip the chain and I'm off again ---
You'll find me everywhere. I'm a Rover.
- Jethro Tull - Rover

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:50 am

This gave me a prog boner
I didn't care much for the last one.....this is already better than anything on that one
Mills.......wow
Tarja is a female woman

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 am

Chris R wrote:This gave me a prog boner
I didn't care much for the last one.....this is already better than anything on that one
Mills.......wow

Yeah, I thought 'The Theory of Everything' or whatever it was was a rare misstep.

This, however, sounds amazing. Arjen's ability to draw the best out of singers is simply amazing. Tommy, in particular, is KILLER here.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:10 am

I love it ...... completely bad ass. Sounds like a return to "old" Ayreon ....... I am also a chump for Hammond organ. The stable of singers he has on this is staggering, but then again he has done this many times in the past - this batch just stoked me more than the others. If there was ever a time for me to get back into Ayreon, this song at least made me hopeful.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:45 pm

LarryD wrote:I love it ...... completely bad ass. Sounds like a return to "old" Ayreon ....... I am also a chump for Hammond organ. The stable of singers he has on this is staggering, but then again he has done this many times in the past - this batch just stoked me more than the others. If there was ever a time for me to get back into Ayreon, this song at least made me hopeful.

That comment here made about the Hammond sounding awesome with heavy music is so true...to me when Dream Theater does this to me it makes them gteat...
Best example of this blend is Wasp..the title track from Headless Children...(well...other than Purple but they never were that heavy)

I don't know why more of the heavier bands out there hasn't explored this
Tarja is a female woman

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

This song is excellent. If it represents the album as a whole, I'm in!!

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:27 pm

I've never had an Ayreon album, just thought it would be too high concept and not enough melodies. This sounded great and will be my first purchase from this group and Arjen. I'm not a fan of multiple singers on single tune but this may change my mind.

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:28 pm

I got goosebumps when I listened...that amount of vocal talent in one place is a powerful thing. And I love the chunky riffs & the quiet vocal 101001 bit is stunning..
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I've never had an Ayreon album, just thought it would be too high concept and not enough melodies.

With the exception on "Theory of Everything", this is DEFINITELY not the case. Ayreon is almost always packed with melodies.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
I've never had an Ayreon album, just thought it would be too high concept and not enough melodies.

With the exception on "Theory of Everything", this is DEFINITELY not the case. Ayreon is almost always packed with melodies.

I agree. This unfortunate misconception may have been keeping you out of some of the best prog of the last 20 years.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am

Almost clicked stop when LaBrie started singing. Glad I stuck with it. Enjoyed the rest very much.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Packgrog wrote:Almost clicked stop when LaBrie started singing. Glad I stuck with it. Enjoyed the rest very much.

Packie??? You're alive???
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 am

New track posted.

Everybody Dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4E ... e=youtu.be

Loving this!

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:50 am

Wow :D

Who is doing the growlies on this
Tarja is a female woman

Nos

Postby Nos » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 am

ToddS wrote:New track posted.

Everybody Dies

Now I'm sure I won't bother listening to anything more from it. I don't understand the appeal of this at all. Is it because I don't give a flying rat's ass about sci-fi?

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 am

Nos wrote:

Everybody Dies

Now I'm sure I won't bother listening to anything more from it. I don't understand the appeal of this at all. Is it because I don't give a flying rat's ass about sci-fi?

It's only because you have a narrow field of stuff you like. It's the way you are. You have the right to like or dislike what you want. Just don't expect most of us here to follow you.

As for me, it's probably the first time since Star One that I'm excited about a release of his. Looking forward to this one!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:As for me, it's probably the first time since Star One that I'm excited about a release of his. Looking forward to this one!

Same for me!

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 am

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Packgrog wrote:Almost clicked stop when LaBrie started singing. Glad I stuck with it. Enjoyed the rest very much.

Packie??? You're alive???

Sort of.

Everybody Dies

Loving this!

Cool, thanks!

BC

Postby BC » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Everybody Dies

Loving this!

Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" allowed to be that happy? The Day The World Breaks Down was good, but seemed like typical Arjen. Everybody Dies caught my attention immediately, even when I knew going in there was some Queen influence. What song is Arjen homaging here? Killer Queen?
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:35 pm

BC wrote:

Everybody Dies

Loving this!

Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" allowed to be that happy? The Day The World Breaks Down was good, but seemed like typical Arjen. Everybody Dies caught my attention immediately, even when I knew going in there was some Queen influence. What song is Arjen homaging here? Killer Queen?

Lol on the title and happy. Absolutely a Queen influence here. I didn't dial in on what particular Queen song, but the influence certainly stood out.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Nos wrote:

Everybody Dies

Who knows with you dude. Lol

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Now that this disc has been out for a couple weeks, anyone have any thoughts on the full album? It's been pretty quiet around here on most of the new releases....

I have mine waiting to be opened still.... Hopefully this weekend as we have a road trip down to Tennessee.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Now that this disc has been out for a couple weeks, anyone have any thoughts on the full album? It's been pretty quiet around here on most of the new releases....

I have mine waiting to be opened still.... Hopefully this weekend as we have a road trip down to Tennessee.

***I said the same exact thing to someone on the phone the other day .......... why isn't anyone talking up the new releases ? Namely, this one and the new Vanden Plas DVD that everyone has been waiting for ? I'm baffled.

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Have to add it to my Ipod
It's on my iTunes
Tarja is a female woman

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Now that this disc has been out for a couple weeks, anyone have any thoughts on the full album? It's been pretty quiet around here on most of the new releases....

To me it feels like every other song is fresh, while their opposites are a bit too...predictable?

I sorta feel bad for feeling the way I do cause prog is a hard genre to be an Ayreon in forever, and Arjen sure is putting forth the effort. I think he would benefit from doing something completely different for several years before he comes back at Ayreon, though, to be honest.

None of which is to say it's a bad album. It's just not an Into the Electric Castle or Flight of the Migrator.

Return to “PM: Core”