IQ / Scrape Across the Sky ...... Bluray

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

IQ / Scrape Across the Sky ...... Bluray

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Now we're talking folks !!!!! The Lasers Edge just put up the new IQ Bluray show called "Scrape the Sky" ....... IQ's first bluray and judging from the setlist, it appears to be a monster !!!!!

Check it out ----

Track listing:

Intro
Awake And Nervous
The Darkest Hour
From The Outside In
The Road Of Bones
Frequency
Without Walls
Ocean
Leap of Faith
Until The End
Outer Limits
The Seventh House

ENCORES:

Ten Million Demons
Widow’s Peak

With audio in stereo and 5.1 surround sound, the special features include:

• ‘The Encores’ from the Borederij gig.
• ‘Until The End’ - video from the 2014 Lorelei festival
• ‘The Projections’ - just the projections used in the gig accompanied by the live audio
• ‘The Art of The Road of Bones’ - Peter Nicholls in conversation with Tony Lythgoe, graphic artist and designer of the striking album cover and logo for IQ’s recent album ‘The Road of Bones’
• ‘Photo Gallery’

The show consists of the entire "Road of Bones" disc (Disc 1) --- throw in "The Seventh House", "Leap of Faith" and "Widow's Peak" and this one is shaping up to be one of the ultimate IQ shows.....

My order placed -- cannot wait to get this one !!!!!!

GaetanL

Re: IQ / Scrape the Sky ...... Bluray

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Ordered yesterday (January 16th) along with other stuff...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm

I hope this Bluray is done right A/V wise. I will certainly pick it up if so.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Russ

Postby Russ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 pm

You're an evil man, and my wallet just cried your name. I hope you're happy with yourself....
Education is the science of knowing TRUTH.
Miseducation is the art of absorbing FALSITY.
TRUTH is that which is, not that which ain’t.
FALSITY is that which ain’t, not that what is.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 pm

I just got the disc or I would have posted this sooner ........... I cannot play the bluray on my player. This video was shot at 25fps, which is European. It will not play on all players. In my research, I have found that most Sony, Samsung and Panasonic players will not play this, but supposedly Oppo, LG, Philips and select others can.

It does not specify this on the Bluray packaging itself. It also does not specify NTSC either. If anyone does get this, and it plays on your machine, please post here which bluray player you are using. Thanks.

I've already tried it on 3 players -- 2 Sony and 1 Panasonic player. No dice.

Edit: Apparently some older Samsung players will play the different format. The newer ones supposedly not. I wish it just specified that it was in PAL format, and then I'd know for sure I couldn't play it..... I hate to go out and grab another machine just for this disc, but it appears that they are not releasing it on standard DVD, and of course I have a player that plays PAL dvd. Figures.......

GaetanL

Re: IQ / Scrape Across the Sky ...... Bluray

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:57 pm

I have received this Blu-ray today (January 24th).

Didn't watch it yet, but just for a test, I have put it in my Cambridge Audio AZUR 651BD player and it plays fine.

I have pressed the info button during the show and I see "PAL". I think it's the first time I notice this for HD content. I thought it was only for PAL DVD content.

The disc is region free but I expect many people having problems playing this in America.
Gaétan

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear of the issues with this one. FYI - Bluray is Bluray. There is no PAL/NTSC. Unless they slapped standard PAL video straight on this Blu-ray Disc?

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm

ToddS wrote:Bluray is Bluray. There is no PAL/NTSC.

That's what I thought until today. Looks likes this is not the case when it's interlaced. In Europe 1080i 50 hz exists. In America it's 1080i 60 hz. When it's 1080p, it's all the same all over the world. This is what I understand, I may be wrong.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245
Gaétan

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:22 am

GaetanL wrote:

That's what I thought until today. Looks likes this is not the case when it's interlaced. In Europe 1080i 50 hz exists. In America it's 1080i 60 hz. When it's 1080p, it's all the same all over the world.

***You are both correct....... technically there is no PAL / NTSC for bluray ........ and yes, in Europe that 1080i @ 50hz is what the problem is for us. I originally thought that Oppo players were the only ones that could handle those specs - but that Cambridge Audio player is doing it, so that is a good sign. However, those are both high end machines and capable of sending that particular format to the television. Supposedly, that list I put up of machines that could possibly play this as well I'm starting to have my doubts about. Just because they can play PAL discs, doesn't mean they can convert that 1080i / 50hz format. Even if it's region free, that doesn't matter either.

I'm not sure why a band of this magnitude - would even think to shoot their first bluray show in this format. Now the problem becomes this -- if someone wants to own and see this show, you now have to find a machine that can convert that format ....... I have never seen any bluray player advertise those specs. I have read that LG players have the market cornered in this area, and are capable of playing most formats - but we won't know unless we buy one and try it. I've already got 2 PAL players for standard DVDs, now I have to go out and try to find a bluray player that can convert the 1080i / 50hz signal to my television.......

:roll: :roll: :roll:

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 am

GaetanL wrote:

That's what I thought until today. Looks likes this is not the case when it's interlaced. In Europe 1080i 50 hz exists. In America it's 1080i 60 hz. When it's 1080p, it's all the same all over the world. This is what I understand, I may be wrong.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245

You are correct. I didn't realize this caused problems for some players.. I own a fair amount of UK blurays, and never had a problem, but I have a Oppo.
Thanks for the link.

LASERCD

Postby LASERCD » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:27 am

Frankly if you are invested in video and not using an Oppo you are spinning your wheels a bit. They are well constructed machines with state of the art playback. The customer support is superb and they consistently update their machines. They will play anything you throw at it.

From my experience its also the inexpensive off-brands that are easy to hack and can be made to play back anything. Its the major electronics companies like Sony and Panasonic that need to be avoided. They don't have the flexibility and are typically unhackable. There are exceptions. Denon was always hackable and should be able to play something like this IQ bluray out of the box (just a guess). LG as well.

People keep buying Sony machines and complain that they have issues playing back certain discs. Sony may have invented bluray but everyone has passed them.

Return to “PM: Core”