Souls of Diotima / The Sorceress Reveals - Atlantis

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Souls of Diotima / The Sorceress Reveals - Atlantis

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:01 pm

So this disc is part of my first haul of the year........ decided to start with some female fronted symphonic metal as I've been away from that genre for some time.....I was hoping that this disc ignited my interest in the genre, but alas, it wasn't to be ...........

If you don't want to read further --- check out this video, which stoked my interest originally..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7L7a-16tY

This Italian symphonic metal band has been around for some time ............ this is my first contact. After checking out all of the reviews, and watching this video, I thought I was hooked...... Atlantis is a huge, epic, concept disc .........right up my alley. The music is epic, conjuring thoughts of Nightwish, Kamelot and Serenity among others...... Lots of melodies, tons of keyboards, and huge, epic passages............check. The singer, Claudia Barsi, has that little girl tone --but she has a monstrous range -- and quite an impressive one. She also has a huge Italian accent which could really detract from enjoying this disc. Everything is pretty much on target here - but as I'm reading the reviews, I'm reading about the awful narrations that come between the songs..... we've all been there with the narrations. Some good, some bad, some awful. Put these in the beyond terrible category. I thought I could stand any narrations, as long as the music and vocals were so impressive as not to be steered away by them ...... not here.

In between every song is narration - but really bad narration. As I've told a few -- imagine the god Poseidon having an Italian accent. Imagine his main love having a voice like a newswoman anchor from California. Put them together, and it's pretty horrendous. As she decries about the forthcoming battle of Atlas, she yells it all out in a newswoman type tone ....... it's hardly convincing and lots of times laughable........

This band is pretty talented --- and the singer, aside from the thick accent, is really good .......... but throw in really bad narration to the point of cringing, and it's really hard to listen to this one without plowing through the narration to get to the music ..... problem is, there is as much narration as music -- you have to decide how much you can take ....... as for me, I lost the battle............. :oops:

Return to “PM: Core”