My first order of the year...........

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

My first order of the year...........

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:05 am

It's January 10 and I haven't bought any new music -- until now. One week we are putting up top 10 lists, and the next week it's a new year and having to hunt down new music......here is what I grabbed from The Lasers Edge......

Binary Creed / A Battle Won -
This is no surprise since it made my Top 10 list easily. Everyone pretty much dismissed this one as 90s style sci-fi prog with a poor production. I agree on the production, but one thing is for sure, Andreas Stoltz is smoking on the vocals, and every song is melodic bliss no matter how you define it. Up until now, the CD itself wasn't available. I had to download mine off Amazon. The Lasers Edge now has these in stock on CD.

Souls of Diotoma / The Sorceress Reveals - Atlantis
With the shortage of female fronted goth / symphonic metal bands, or good ones anyway, I decided to give this one a try. From Italy I believe, this is a concept disc with narration, so if you're not into that - move on. If you want to check them out, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7L7a-16tY

The Aurora Project / World of Grey --
This Dutch band gets absolutely no recognition for the most part....I've been on them since their 1st disc and each one just gets better and better. Their last one, Selling the Aggression, was their best and most "metal". I've read that one of their members has died, and they took some time and re-vamped and came up with this new one. It's supposed to be a bit more laid back, into more prog rock land but it's also supposed to be their most melodic. I'd buy blind until they put out 3 stinkers in a row, which I doubt is possible. Here is an example off the new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev9raPjezYs

Sabaton / Swedish Empire Live (dvd / cd) -
I've been wanting this for some time, and TLE had it for a whopping $8.00 so I grabbed it. While I don't care for every disc they release, I am a big fan of "The Art of War", and you all know how awesome these guys are live. Put them in front of 250,000 people or more and watch what happens........ "it's the Art of War" !!!!!!

Let the new year of music begin !!!!!!

ToddS
Site Admin

Re: My first order of the year...........

Postby ToddS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:19 am

LarryD wrote:It's January 10 and I haven't bought any new music -- until now. One week we are putting up top 10 lists, and the next week it's a new year and having to hunt down new music......here is what I grabbed from The Lasers Edge......

This Dutch band gets absolutely no recognition for the most part....I've been on them since their 1st disc and each one just gets better and better. Their last one, Selling the Aggression, was their best and most "metal". I've read that one of their members has died, and they took some time and re-vamped and came up with this new one. It's supposed to be a bit more laid back, into more prog rock land but it's also supposed to be their most melodic. I'd buy blind until they put out 3 stinkers in a row, which I doubt is possible. Here is an example off the new one:

I agree, excellent band! I didn't realize they had a new one coming out. I'm on it.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

LarryD wrote:It's January 10 and I haven't bought any new music -- until now. One week we are putting up top 10 lists, and the next week it's a new year and having to hunt down new music......here is what I grabbed from The Lasers Edge......

Binary Creed / A Battle Won -
This is no surprise since it made my Top 10 list easily. Everyone pretty much dismissed this one as 90s style sci-fi prog with a poor production. I agree on the production, but one thing is for sure, Andreas Stoltz is smoking on the vocals, and every song is melodic bliss no matter how you define it. Up until now, the CD itself wasn't available. I had to download mine off Amazon. The Lasers Edge now has these in stock on CD.

Souls of Diotoma / The Sorceress Reveals - Atlantis
With the shortage of female fronted goth / symphonic metal bands, or good ones anyway, I decided to give this one a try. From Italy I believe, this is a concept disc with narration, so if you're not into that - move on. If you want to check them out, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7L7a-16tY

Sabaton / Swedish Empire Live (dvd / cd) -
I've been wanting this for some time, and TLE had it for a whopping $8.00 so I grabbed it. While I don't care for every disc they release, I am a big fan of "The Art of War", and you all know how awesome these guys are live. Put them in front of 250,000 people or more and watch what happens........ "it's the Art of War" !!!!!!

Absolutely nothing for me in there. I own the first Aurora Project and while it's pretty good, I didn't play it much.

We gotta find at least one band to reconnect this year bro. :)
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 am

We gotta find at least one band to reconnect this year bro.

***Vanden Plas and Threshold should do it ........... :)

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am

LarryD wrote:

Stevie is not so high on new Threshold stuff as far as I know. Me, I'm really looking forward to the new disc.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Guillaume wrote:
LarryD wrote:

Stevie is not so high on new Threshold stuff as far as I know. Me, I'm really looking forward to the new disc.

I was just having this discussion with Larry this morning. I don'T like the happy choruses they now infuse their songs. I wish they'd go back to the darker vibe of Psych or inject more prog like on Extinct Instinct or to the atmosphere of Clone.

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
LarryD wrote:

I was just having this discussion with Larry this morning. I don'T like the happy choruses they now infuse their songs. I wish they'd go back to the darker vibe of Psych or inject more prog like on Extinct Instinct or to the atmosphere of Clone.

I'm happy with these choruses and don't want them to return to the proggier side!! They play exactly the kind of prog I enjoy since the last few albums :twisted:

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:
Guillaume wrote:

I'm happy with these choruses and don't want them to return to the proggier side!! They play exactly the kind of prog I enjoy since the last few albums :twisted:

Haha! You enjoy it because it's not really prog anymore. :wink:

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:
Guillaume wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:

Haha! You enjoy it because it's not really prog anymore. :wink:

Let's say they're prog-enough for me to enjoy, but not over-prog for me to get lost... :lol:

Scott B

Postby Scott B » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Damn it Larry! I didn't need to like any more bands! I checked out The Aurora Project and, damn. Definitely an Arena vibe in there. The earlier stuff seems to throw in some DT influences as well. I'm going through their catalog on Spotify right now.

See, I said Spotify. Mr. 2500+ CDs is using Spotify. My wife and son wanted streaming capability on their phones, so I caved and got on the family plan. At least Spotify seems to be somewhat paying artists now. I actually saw a post from a band--can't remember which one, but they were far from mainstream--talking about how they had received a payment from Spotify and it was something like $300?

After buying 234 albums last year, and then reviewing those these last few weeks, I realized how little of it I go back to, so I am going to up my filtering so that if I find myself hitting the same album up on Spotify, I'll buy the album. Hopefully that will make my remaining CD storage space go a little further.

Well, I surely did digress!

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Scott B wrote:Damn it Larry! I didn't need to like any more bands! I checked out The Aurora Project and, damn. Definitely an Arena vibe in there. The earlier stuff seems to throw in some DT influences as well. I'm going through their catalog on Spotify right now.

See, I said Spotify. Mr. 2500+ CDs is using Spotify. My wife and son wanted streaming capability on their phones, so I caved and got on the family plan. At least Spotify seems to be somewhat paying artists now. I actually saw a post from a band--can't remember which one, but they were far from mainstream--talking about how they had received a payment from Spotify and it was something like $300?

After buying 234 albums last year, and then reviewing those these last few weeks, I realized how little of it I go back to, so I am going to up my filtering so that if I find myself hitting the same album up on Spotify, I'll buy the album. Hopefully that will make my remaining CD storage space go a little further.

***Scott -- check out "Selling the Aggression" when you can ..... to me that is their best disc of all. Haven't got the new one yet, but I'm posting on it as soon as I get it..........

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Scott B wrote:Damn it Larry! I didn't need to like any more bands! I checked out The Aurora Project and, damn. Definitely an Arena vibe in there. The earlier stuff seems to throw in some DT influences as well. I'm going through their catalog on Spotify right now.

You and I share a similar Bandcamp fever. Sometimes I have to pull my list of current year albums (or last year's albums) to check out stuff I liked but that I lost in the bulk purchase shuffle.

My first order of the year will be happening soon. The new PoS is out and I'll at least give it a shot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Return to “PM: Core”