Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

User avatar
Man Of Much Metal
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Contact:

Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Good evening friends,

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to share with you my review of the new PoS album...it is one of the biggest and most personal reviews I've ever penned, so I hope you like it.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/

All the best,
Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby ToddS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Wow, that is some review and score. Sadly, judging what I heard so far, it will be another disappointing PoS record for me.

To me it's never been about the heaviness, but style, feel, song writing, emotion, tone and delivery. The new tunes released so far may be ok, but still pail in comparison to the first 4 releases imo.

Enjoyed the review. I'll certainly give it a chance.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Sparky
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 am

This disc is not gonna win the disenchanted back, although it IS packed with emotion. Dissonance and odd rhythms are their stock and trade here; this isn't Remedy Lane pt. 2, by any means. Me, I'm still absorbing.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Alright, I've had this disc for a week now and I gotta say I enjoy it. No, it's not TPE part 2 or 3 but it's a solid and honest disc from my point of view.

It meanders somewhere in the middle but the first and last songs are excellent for what they are. I'll see how it sits in a couple more weeks but so far so good.

And I gotta say, your review got me into trying it while I had no intention before. :)
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Sparky
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sparky » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 pm

One dramatic shift is in the guitars - they've gone to a heavier, chunky, more rhythmic sound, so there's not as much variety in the playing and that in itself shifts the sound/tone/mood of the band. Where the band was maybe more spry, jazzy, and nimble in the past, they're now more dark and pounding. But then, the subject matter has never been light, so maybe the music finally matches that? They're a complex band with the complex guy calling the shots, and describing them and their evolution is...complex.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Sparky
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I might be falling in love with this disc.

(As always, there's a corner to be turned between the disc you expect and the disc you actually receive...)
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Sparky wrote:I might be falling in love with this disc.

(As always, there's a corner to be turned between the disc you expect and the disc you actually receive...)


It's not back to the glory of old days but it's a solid disc. I really enjoy it. Glad I'm not alone!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Chris R » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:34 am

It's actally pretty good...mildly surprised I'm liking it...
Tarja is a female woman
Image

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby LarryD » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:15 pm

I must be the only one not interested in even trying this ........ call me stubborn or crazy, but the Prog Power show of Remedy Lane was my ending of the relationship......... I could be missing out, but I'm holding my ground........

Sparky
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sparky » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm

LarryD wrote:I must be the only one not interested in even trying this ........ call me stubborn or crazy, but the Prog Power show of Remedy Lane was my ending of the relationship......... I could be missing out, but I'm holding my ground........


Are you TRYING to make Daniel cry?

(whatever happened, the actual post-fit performance is great) Maybe strangely glad I wasn't there.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

User avatar
LarryD
Site Admin
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:57 pm
Location: Rhode Island / USA

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby LarryD » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:04 am

(whatever happened, the actual post-fit performance is great) Maybe strangely glad I wasn't there.



***Yes to both ......... it was fantastic, but you did not want to be there. It actually held some sort of negative aura over us for the show. It's hard to explain, but we've been down that road too many times already, so yeah, it was not something you wanted to see.......

The thing is -- like others say, try to imagine this as another band now...... why would I do that ? If i want vintage PoS, I'll play the original greats. If I wanted another band that sounded like PoS, I'd hit up the first Van Gough disc or the previous Oddland disc or something similar.

User avatar
Man Of Much Metal
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Suffolk, UK
Contact:

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for the kind comments about my review...if it meant that some of you have had a listen when perhaps you might not have, that's the biggest compliment a reviewer can have. I'm still amazed about the polarisation of views on this disc, but I can kind of understand everyone's views whether or not they coincide with mine.
Matt

The Man of Much Metal

The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

User avatar
devomeister
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:49 am
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby devomeister » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice review. I'm with you, I think this album is incredible. For me, a fabulous return to form while moving into fresh territory.
Check out my professional portfolio:
https://chris_devo.artstation.com/

Check out my art blog:
http://chrisdevosartblog.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Mardoch
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Mardoch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't feel like I listened to the same disc as so many of you guys. The "heaviness" seems to be largely confined to a muddied up bottom end guitar tone. Some of the angularity in the riffs harkens back to the old days, and Daniel's voice still sounds freakin amazing, but other than that it doesn't hold a ton of appeal. It feels forced and unnatural compared to what it's supposed to recall.

Oh well. I'll still have those early discs, and they'll probably always wow me.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby ToddS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Mardoch wrote:I don't feel like I listened to the same disc as so many of you guys. The "heaviness" seems to be largely confined to a muddied up bottom end guitar tone. Some of the angularity in the riffs harkens back to the old days, and Daniel's voice still sounds freakin amazing, but other than that it doesn't hold a ton of appeal. It feels forced and unnatural compared to what it's supposed to recall.

Oh well. I'll still have those early discs, and they'll probably always wow me.


Man I'm so with you on this. The heavy guitar tone is often just horrible imo. I also don't get at all the return to form comments. My idea of an return to form is Remedy Lane on back. Or to stretch that to the extreme, say Scarsick on back. There is very little of that on here. There are a some nice moments on this, but this is nowhere close to old school PoS imo.

No offense intended to anyone, but as a super hardcore fan of the early stuff (the first 4 are among the most important music recordings of my life), why or what makes anyone say this a return to form?

DG is still a great singer but is generally toned down here. Where are the multi layered vocal parts? Where are those beautiful duel guitar solos? Why is their a 15 minute song that does the same thing over and over for 7-8 minutes? I'll stop now. Sigh
From the hardest of hardcore old school PoS fans, this is not even close to a return to form imo.

As far as judging this on its own... At times It's good, at times it's bad, overall I guess I would say it's ok, but ok doesn't cut it when they were once brilliant.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Chris R
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm
Location: Tampa Bay

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Chris R » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:57 am

I kinda thought their guitar sound ...for lack of a better word..always sucked...
So nothing diffe4ent here

It's actually to me a good disk....it's not classic era...but best one since Be
Tarja is a female woman

Image

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 am

Code: Select all

It's actually to me a good disk....it's not classic era...but best one since Be


As far as judging this on its own... At times It's good, at times it's bad, overall I guess I would say it's ok, but ok doesn't cut it when they were once brilliant.


I think I sit somewhere between these two. There are songs on here that I really enjoy, but there are also lengthy segments that almost bore me to tears. I think the first half of the disc is really solid (although track one needed some editing, as it tends to get off course a bit), but the last few songs REALLY lost momentum pretty quickly. "Full Throttle Tribe" is the one song on here that I think does capture the old school elements of PoS, albeit in their newer sound. "Meaningless", "Reasons", and "Solid Gold" all also stand out right away.

Taken for what it is, I'm mostly satisfied with it. It's a far departure from Road Salt, but manages to merge elements from that era with elements from their earlier works, yet overarching is something new and different.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
jhallum
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:00 pm

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby jhallum » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 am

ToddS wrote:No offense intended to anyone, but as a super hardcore fan of the early stuff (the first 4 are among the most important music recordings of my life), why or what makes anyone say this a return to form?

DG is still a great singer but is generally toned down here. Where are the multi layered vocal parts? Where are those beautiful duel guitar solos? Why is their a 15 minute song that does the same thing over and over for 7-8 minutes? I'll stop now. Sigh
From the hardest of hardcore old school PoS fans, this is not even close to a return to form imo.


For me its the passion. I feel like the passion is back here. I felt after RS 1/2 came out that he was a much better writer/performer when he write stuff based on his personal experiences, and I think that this album reinforces that. The sound is not completely retro, true, but the anger and the yearning and loss is palpable (especially Reasons and Meaningless). I don't want the old PoS sound back at all. I want the passionate PoS back, and this album brings it in spades.

User avatar
ToddS
Site Admin
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby ToddS » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

jhallum wrote:
ToddS wrote:No offense intended to anyone, but as a super hardcore fan of the early stuff (the first 4 are among the most important music recordings of my life), why or what makes anyone say this a return to form?

DG is still a great singer but is generally toned down here. Where are the multi layered vocal parts? Where are those beautiful duel guitar solos? Why is their a 15 minute song that does the same thing over and over for 7-8 minutes? I'll stop now. Sigh
From the hardest of hardcore old school PoS fans, this is not even close to a return to form imo.


For me its the passion. I feel like the passion is back here. I felt after RS 1/2 came out that he was a much better writer/performer when he write stuff based on his personal experiences, and I think that this album reinforces that. The sound is not completely retro, true, but the anger and the yearning and loss is palpable (especially Reasons and Meaningless). I don't want the old PoS sound back at all. I want the passionate PoS back, and this album brings it in spades.


No accounting for feeling that passion. Certainly personal to each of us with music. I don't mind them changing, but i feel the change has been a regression instead of a progression. Just my opinion. To each their own there. Daniel is also dialed down here, and I wish he would have went all out on this. He is such an amazing singer! I do appreciate your thoughts J. Wish I was feeling the magic here.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

ToddS wrote:
jhallum wrote:
ToddS wrote:No offense intended to anyone, but as a super hardcore fan of the early stuff (the first 4 are among the most important music recordings of my life), why or what makes anyone say this a return to form?

DG is still a great singer but is generally toned down here. Where are the multi layered vocal parts? Where are those beautiful duel guitar solos? Why is their a 15 minute song that does the same thing over and over for 7-8 minutes? I'll stop now. Sigh
From the hardest of hardcore old school PoS fans, this is not even close to a return to form imo.


For me its the passion. I feel like the passion is back here. I felt after RS 1/2 came out that he was a much better writer/performer when he write stuff based on his personal experiences, and I think that this album reinforces that. The sound is not completely retro, true, but the anger and the yearning and loss is palpable (especially Reasons and Meaningless). I don't want the old PoS sound back at all. I want the passionate PoS back, and this album brings it in spades.


No accounting for feeling that passion. Certainly personal to each of us with music. I don't mind them changing, but i feel the change has been a regression instead of a progression. Just my opinion. To each their own there. Daniel is also dialed down here, and I wish he would have went all out on this. He is such an amazing singer! I do appreciate your thoughts J. Wish I was feeling the magic here.


By the way, I just saw them last week here live and while I thought they were really good, it felt like Daniel was holding back vocally. It made me think he's sitting in a very comfortable zone on this disc. He's got an amazing voice but he's not using its full potential.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

User avatar
Sir Exar Kun
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:51 pm

By the way, I just saw them last week here live and while I thought they were really good, it felt like Daniel was holding back vocally. It made me think he's sitting in a very comfortable zone on this disc. He's got an amazing voice but he's not using its full potential.


Any chance he legitimately still isn't at 100%?
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

User avatar
Stevie WOnder
Posts: 4319
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Quebec City

Re: Pain of Salvation - ITPLOD - full review

Postby Stevie WOnder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:
By the way, I just saw them last week here live and while I thought they were really good, it felt like Daniel was holding back vocally. It made me think he's sitting in a very comfortable zone on this disc. He's got an amazing voice but he's not using its full potential.


Any chance he legitimately still isn't at 100%?


That's a good question... Might be a sequel from his ordeal but it felt more like he was restraining himself as the new stuff doesn't allow for it. At one point I remember he went high but that was very short.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D


Return to “PM: Core”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest