Stevie's top 10 of 2016

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Stevie WOnder

Stevie's top 10 of 2016

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 am

It hasn't been a great year but a solid one. The awesome stuff was awesome but there weren't too many. If it were another year, some of those might not have made the list. It seems I went for mostly melodic stuff this year. Might be a trend? I'll see in 2017...

1. DGM - The Passage: Slick, melodic, great singing, great guitar playing and it's got the song of the year for me: The Secret part 2. I've liked this band in the past but they never have sounded so good. Close to perfection here.

2. Hemina - Venus: A true progmetal disc in all the definitions you want to give it. It's got jazz, pop, heavy, smooth, some saxophone, and very long songs that all work very well. For an 83 minutes disc, I don't find myself skipping one song. Just that tells you how great it is. It was a toss up between this one and the DGM for #1.

3. A Perfect Day - The deafening silence: This is melodic metal at its best. This is a spinoff from one of Labyrinth's guitar player. They used to have Tiranti as a singer but they got a new guy which is surprisingly excellent considering the shoes he had to fill. If you enjoy great melodies, this is for you as it's the main focus. I really enjoyed the first one but this is on another level.

4. Circus Maximus - Havoc: I hated Nine, I thought it didn't have anything for me to latch on, no melodies and it sounded a bit grungy if it tells you anything. This one is full on AOR from my point of view. Great singing as usual and the opener is an amazing song. It's one of those you think you're gonna hate but you keep playing it until you realize you finally love it.

5. Testament - Brotherhood of the snake: Thrash baby!!! This fills my need for heavy stuff. One of the oldest bands that sound better today than when they first started. Same goes for Billy who sings better than he ever has from my point of view. I love his deathy vox, one of the best in the business. Finally, you got Skolnick who's got a great tone and plays godly.

6. Wilson/Wakeman - Weir Keeper's tale: No metal to be found here. It's just some beautiful acoustic stuff from Damian Wilson with the son of Rick Wakeman. Turn down the lights, get some nice wine and relax....

7. Devin Townsend - Transcendence: Not his best work but it's Devin so it's making the top 10. It's got some miss moments but the hits are great. The title track reminds me of Therion and it's awesome. Solid disc.

8. Pretty maids - Kingmaker: After the shaky Motherland, this is a nice comeback. We're not on par with Pandaemonium but close. This is another band that sounds better today than back in the days. For my Cajun brothers, there's no Drops of Heaven to be found here. :wink:

9. Wolverine - Machina Viva: Even if I expected more and can almost call it a disappointment after the all time top 10 that was Communication Lost, this is making the top ten for 2016. It's not as emotional and involving as CL was but it's got its moments. There are a few boring tracks but the good stuff makes it up. When you have Stefan Zell singing, the delicate playing and atmosphere, I'm in.

10. Votum - Ktonik: This is a different Votum. Gone are the dreamy vocals and spacey atmosphere closer to Wolverine than anything else. This is more of a dark vibe with a ballsy singer. It took me a few spins to get into this but it finally clicked with me. Hard to describe, maybe dark depressive progmetal? Nice different stuff.

Honorable mentions:

Both Sixx AM, Watchtower, Redemption, Periphery, Fractal Cypher, Treat, Katatonia, Utopia, FW, Myrath.

Had the Danger Angel come before, it would probably have made the top 10.

By the way, I keep editing the honorable mentions. So many discs that were good but not great.

There you go, comment away!!
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Stevie's top 10 of 2016

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 pm

I was just wondering if you were going to post a list since you're a long time regular. Although my list is a bit different than yours, I'm digging the Hemina quite a bit as well. Others like DGM, Wolverine, Votum, Redemption and Utopia would have been in my 11-20 range.

Agree 2016 was a good year, but 2015 was one of the best years ever for me. It had quality and quantity.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:I was just wondering if you were going to post a list since you're a long time regular. Although my list is a bit different than yours, I'm digging the Hemina quite a bit as well. Others like DGM, Wolverine, Votum, Redemption and Utopia would have been in my 11-20 range.

Agree 2016 was a good year, but 2015 was one of the best years ever for me. It had quality and quantity.

Glad I'm not alone digging the Hemina. I'm surprised it hasn't caught up more. One of the best progmetal discs I've heard in a long time.

Let's hope 2017 has got some good stuff in store. :)

Nos

Postby Nos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:Glad I'm not alone digging the Hemina. I'm surprised it hasn't caught up more. One of the best progmetal discs I've heard in a long time.

I know that at least for me, I didn't even check it out, because I was sick and tired of lengthy double albums. Sorry, but I don't often have the uninterrupted time to listen to an hour and a half or so of music.

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Nos wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:Glad I'm not alone digging the Hemina. I'm surprised it hasn't caught up more. One of the best progmetal discs I've heard in a long time.

I know that at least for me, I didn't even check it out, because I was sick and tired of lengthy double albums. Sorry, but I don't often have the uninterrupted time to listen to an hour and a half or so of music.

The weird thing about this one is that it doesn't even feel lenghty.

Try songs like "Down will come baby" or "Secret's Safe" or "I" or Moonlight Bride". It's impressive...

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Try songs like "Down will come baby" or "Secret's Safe" or "I" or Moonlight Bride". It's impressive...

Agreed. It's a very QUICK 80 minutes, even with the longer songs. The diversity across the entire album keeps it fresh.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:12 am

****Great list -- I noticed 2 things about your list. 1) We don't have one disc in common this year; this could be a first. 2) It seems like you had trouble coming up with a Top 10 list ( something that affects us all from time to time ), yet this year I felt was easy to come up with a Top 10. Your taste changing ? Or mine ?

My thoughts......

1. DGM - The Passage: Slick, melodic, great singing, great guitar playing and it's got the song of the year for me: The Secret part 2. I've liked this band in the past but they never have sounded so good. Close to perfection here.

***You and Glenn tried valiantly to get me into this disc. I tried as well. NO dice. I pretty much stood alone in the crowd saying that Noveria is much better than this one is..... People keep saying that Noveria is too speedy; there are (2) speedy songs on Noveria. The rest is mid-paced or varied. Just something about DGM I couldn't get into.

2. Hemina - Venus: A true progmetal disc in all the definitions you want to give it. It's got jazz, pop, heavy, smooth, some saxophone, and very long songs that all work very well. For an 83 minutes disc, I don't find myself skipping one song. Just that tells you how great it is. It was a toss up between this one and the DGM for #1.

***Weird how prog metal hits us in different ways. If you look at your list, there is really 1 or 2 prog metal discs on it. I had 5 ? Your list is much more varied than mine is ...... As far as Hemina, don't ask me what it is, I can't describe it but I just can't do it. I find myself fast forwarding thru most of the songs to find something that hits me right. Yes I know Glenn played Nebula for me and I supposedly dug it. I was probably drunk as shit and enjoying anything he played. But when I actualyl try to sit down and listen to Hemina, I can't.

3. A Perfect Day - The deafening silence: This is melodic metal at its best. This is a spinoff from one of Labyrinth's guitar player. They used to have Tiranti as a singer but they got a new guy which is surprisingly excellent considering the shoes he had to fill. If you enjoy great melodies, this is for you as it's the main focus. I really enjoyed the first one but this is on another level.

***Again, when you played this for me (multiple times), it was good. I actually bought it after that, but found myself not going back to it.

4. Circus Maximus - Havoc: I hated Nine, I thought it didn't have anything for me to latch on, no melodies and it sounded a bit grungy if it tells you anything. This one is full on AOR from my point of view. Great singing as usual and the opener is an amazing song. It's one of those you think you're gonna hate but you keep playing it until you realize you finally love it.

***No need to debate this one. Those who enjoy Nine and continue to do so here, more power to you.... those of us who miss "old" CM, we've moved on .......

5. Testament - Brotherhood of the snake: Thrash baby!!! This fills my need for heavy stuff. One of the oldest bands that sound better today than when they first started. Same goes for Billy who sings better than he ever has from my point of view. I love his deathy vox, one of the best in the business. Finally, you got Skolnick who's got a great tone and plays godly.

***Next.

6. Wilson/Wakeman - Weir Keeper's tale: No metal to be found here. It's just some beautiful acoustic stuff from Damian Wilson with the son of Rick Wakeman. Turn down the lights, get some nice wine and relax....

***This is a great disc for what it is. And the wine and lights yes. Do you keep going back to this time and time again, or were you looking for a disc to throw onto the list ? I think you and I are the only 2 who even own it.

7. Devin Townsend - Transcendence: Not his best work but it's Devin so it's making the top 10. It's got some miss moments but the hits are great. The title track reminds me of Therion and it's awesome. Solid disc.

***I'll give you your Devy, no debate.

8. Pretty maids - Kingmaker: After the shaky Motherland, this is a nice comeback. We're not on par with Pandaemonium but close. This is another band that sounds better today than back in the days. For my Cajun brothers, there's no Drops of Heaven to be found here. :wink:

***Two 80s bands made it onto your top 10 list of 2016.

9. Wolverine - Machina Viva: Even if I expected more and can almost call it a disappointment after the all time top 10 that was Communication Lost, this is making the top ten for 2016. It's not as emotional and involving as CL was but it's got its moments. There are a few boring tracks but the good stuff makes it up. When you have Stefan Zell singing, the delicate playing and atmosphere, I'm in.

***I'll give you that ..........

10. Votum - Ktonik: This is a different Votum. Gone are the dreamy vocals and spacey atmosphere closer to Wolverine than anything else. This is more of a dark vibe with a ballsy singer. It took me a few spins to get into this but it finally clicked with me. Hard to describe, maybe dark depressive progmetal? Nice different stuff.

***This is my head scratcher for you ...... do you like this version better than the older version of Votum ?

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

Agreed. It's a very QUICK 80 minutes, even with the longer songs. The diversity across the entire album keeps it fresh.

Nicely put. Totally agree with you!

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 am

LarryD wrote:****Great list -- I noticed 2 things about your list. 1) We don't have one disc in common this year; this could be a first. 2) It seems like you had trouble coming up with a Top 10 list ( something that affects us all from time to time ), yet this year I felt was easy to come up with a Top 10. Your taste changing ? Or mine ?

Stevie wrote:1. PRobably a first in 16 years.
2. As I said, it was not a great year for me but a good one. I could've shuffled a couple with the honorable mentions in the bottom 3. I simply chose the ones that I played the most.
3. As you often say, I'm all over the place but it's the melodic stuff that got the edge this year.

My thoughts......

***You and Glenn tried valiantly to get me into this disc. I tried as well. NO dice. I pretty much stood alone in the crowd saying that Noveria is much better than this one is..... People keep saying that Noveria is too speedy; there are (2) speedy songs on Noveria. The rest is mid-paced or varied. Just something about DGM I couldn't get into.
Stevie wrote:I don't think the Noveria is too speedy, it's just speedier than the DGM. Also, it's an uneven disc with some good and some bad. They need to polish their writing but they're a promising band.

***Weird how prog metal hits us in different ways. If you look at your list, there is really 1 or 2 prog metal discs on it. I had 5 ? Your list is much more varied than mine is ...... As far as Hemina, don't ask me what it is, I can't describe it but I just can't do it. I find myself fast forwarding thru most of the songs to find something that hits me right. Yes I know Glenn played Nebula for me and I supposedly dug it. I was probably drunk as shit and enjoying anything he played. But when I actualyl try to sit down and listen to Hemina, I can't.
Stevie wrote:Agreed, it wasn't a great year for me in the pure progmetal genre. I didn't care for Nebula, it was an attempt at mainstreaming their sound and it didn't work for me. Here, they achieved a perfect balance between their melodic side and their long proggy compositions.

***Again, when you played this for me (multiple times), it was good. I actually bought it after that, but found myself not going back to it.
Stevie wrote:I've played the hell out of this one. It's very melodic but you seem to have a problem with that side. You need some intense riffing or something I can't describe. It's like I don't get what you hear in Kamelot once again cause they sound so linear to me, go figure.

***No need to debate this one. Those who enjoy Nine and continue to do so here, more power to you.... those of us who miss "old" CM, we've moved on .......
Stevie wrote:This one is easy for me to understand why you wouldn't like it. It's AOR and cheesy in lots of places. Nothing for you here.

***Next.
Stevie wrote:Haha!! You don't like manly music? :mrgreen:

***This is a great disc for what it is. And the wine and lights yes. Do you keep going back to this time and time again, or were you looking for a disc to throw onto the list ? I think you and I are the only 2 who even own it.
Stevie wrote:I did play the hell out of it, great mood disc. The fact that the girlfriend loves it helps. :wink:

***I'll give you your Devy, no debate.
Stevie wrote:Top five ever for a show at PP. That was awesome. The guy can't do no wrong.

***Two 80s bands made it onto your top 10 list of 2016.
Stevie wrote:Agreed but they both sound fresh. May I remind you they had the best sound ever at PP USA? They could teach a lesson or two to the Angras of the world.

***I'll give you that ..........
Stevie wrote:Might be an emotional choice here...

***This is my head scratcher for you ...... do you like this version better than the older version of Votum ?
Stevie wrote:I definitely prefer the older version since HArvest Moon made the #1 the year it came out. I had to take this one as if it was a new band. Not on par with the old but still damn good.

Thanks for the extensive reply bro. Always a pleasure talking music with you. :)

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Stevie WOnder wrote:It hasn't been a great year but a solid one. The awesome stuff was awesome but there weren't too many. If it were another year, some of those might not have made the list. It seems I went for mostly melodic stuff this year. Might be a trend? I'll see in 2017...
Each year has a good share of albums I like and love. Maybe I'm an easy bitch to please!! :lol:

Excellent. Glad to have pushed it your way!

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Thanks for pushing it my way!!

I don't hate this, but this it's just OK and not that catchy overall...

Hate Billy's death vox, ruins the songs for me. Too bad, if there weren't any, I'd enjoy the disc much more cause I like the music for the most part.

I can enjoy a couple songs from him at the same time...

Great album. Last Beauty On Earth is quite close to Little Drops Of Heaven, but not as good a ballad. Motherland was not shaky at all BTW. :twisted:

Honorable mentions:

Both Sixx AM
Can't get into this band at all....

Redemption
See my reply on Todd's list

Treat
Killer stuff, my #2 of the year. You know what's the #1 I'm sure!

FW, Myrath
Both excellent

Will surely make my top 40

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:17 pm

I don't get why I'm so opposite of everyone on Wolverine. I have no desire to hear Communication Lost again (and I've TRIED, believe me), but I love the new disc. To be fair, I feel like this band went from being interesting AND emotional to just being emotional (CL). They've brought back some of the interesting stuff musically, though, so now I'm back on board. I still love these guys...

Most of the rest I've probably checked out at one point or another this year, but the only things for me that have stuck are Chiasma, Dream of Fire, Neal Morse (duh), and...

My three most-played discs of the year BY FAR are all 2015 discs: DT's The Astonishing, Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, and Teramaze's Her Halo.

I think the most recent Fates disk is GREAT, but for some reason, I don't spin it as much as I should. I need to fix that.

I fully anticipate Daniel & Co. lighting my hair on fire next week, but I also expect it to be more Scarsick than Remedy Lane, which is fine with me, as I love both, and let's face it - Remedy Lane is like the musical equivalent of Josheph Heller's Catch-22, which, when someone stated that he'd not written anything as good since Catch-22, Heller reportedly replied, 'Who has?'
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Sparky wrote:I don't get why I'm so opposite of everyone on Wolverine. I have no desire to hear Communication Lost again (and I've TRIED, believe me), but I love the new disc. To be fair, I feel like this band went from being interesting AND emotional to just being emotional (CL). They've brought back some of the interesting stuff musically, though, so now I'm back on board. I still love these guys...

Most of the rest I've probably checked out at one point or another this year, but the only things for me that have stuck are Chiasma, Dream of Fire, Neal Morse (duh), and...

My three most-played discs of the year BY FAR are all 2015 discs: DT's The Astonishing, Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, and Teramaze's Her Halo.

I think the most recent Fates disk is GREAT, but for some reason, I don't spin it as much as I should. I need to fix that.

I fully anticipate Daniel & Co. lighting my hair on fire next week, but I also expect it to be more Scarsick than Remedy Lane, which is fine with me, as I love both, and let's face it - Remedy Lane is like the musical equivalent of Josheph Heller's Catch-22, which, when someone stated that he'd not written anything as good since Catch-22, Heller reportedly replied, 'Who has?'

Holy crap!!! Completely forgot about Teramaze. Did it come out this year?

DT was ok, Wilson was ok but that Teramaze was great!!!

You must be smoking some potent stuff to say that CL was weaker than MV. :P

As far as PoS, I'm gonna be REALLY cautious. I'm a huge fan of tPE1 and Entropia. I don't see that coming back anyday...

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Guillaume wrote:
Stevie WOnder wrote:It hasn't been a great year but a solid one. The awesome stuff was awesome but there weren't too many. If it were another year, some of those might not have made the list. It seems I went for mostly melodic stuff this year. Might be a trend? I'll see in 2017...
Each year has a good share of albums I like and love. Maybe I'm an easy bitch to please!! :lol:

Excellent. Glad to have pushed it your way!

Stevie wrote:You can be brilliant AND non linear from time to time. ;) Great call bro!

Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Thanks for pushing it my way!!

Stevie wrote:Rarely happens with you so I'm glad I did!! You're always ahead of me.

I don't hate this, but this it's just OK and not that catchy overall...

Stevie wrote:I understand perfectly why.

Hate Billy's death vox, ruins the songs for me. Too bad, if there weren't any, I'd enjoy the disc much more cause I like the music for the most part.

Stevie wrote:We'll make sure to introduce you to the good manly singing this year! :mrgreen:

I can enjoy a couple songs from him at the same time...

Stevie wrote:He's not for everyone, I gotta admit but I know you really enjoyed his live show at PP. That's a start. You have some potential!!

Great album. Last Beauty On Earth is quite close to Little Drops Of Heaven, but not as good a ballad. Motherland was not shaky at all BTW. :twisted:

Honorable mentions:

Both Sixx AM
Can't get into this band at all....

Stevie wrote:Like the new CM, I can understand.

Redemption
See my reply on Todd's list

Treat
Killer stuff, my #2 of the year. You know what's the #1 I'm sure!

Stevie wrote:Testament? :lol:

FW, Myrath
Both excellent

Stevie wrote:That's gonna rock at PP this year.

Will surely make my top 40

Stevie wrote:Thanks for pushing this one too!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:08 pm

The only top 10 we have in common is Hermina (thx for pushing it on me ;)), but most of your top 10 I do like.

CM was on my disappointed list. There are a few listenable tracks for me, but aside from the style changes, it just feels like a under developed recording. To each their own though. :wink:

Don't recall hearing A Perfect Day. Perhaps I did and it didn't click.

I'm more of a casual fan but need to go back to that Devin.

Thanks for posting bro!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm

ToddS wrote:The only top 10 we have in common is Hermina (thx for pushing it on me ;)), but most of your top 10 I do like.

CM was on my disappointed list. There are a few listenable tracks for me, but aside from the style changes, it just feels like a under developed recording. To each their own though. :wink:

Don't recall hearing A Perfect Day. Perhaps I did and it didn't click.

I'm more of a casual fan but need to go back to that Devin.

Thanks for posting bro!

I perfectly understand why the CM isn't clicking with many. I enjoy me some AOR so it's a cool disc with some great songs but we're far from the debut or Isolate. I just take it as another band altogether.

APD is a melodic metal band with an awesome new singer. If you didn't care for Danger Angel, I don't think this will float your boat although this is on a higher level from my point of view. Great from beginning to end.

Devin has got his own style going on. From my point of view, this is not his best work but a damn fine disc. :)

Return to “PM: Core”