Disperse - Foreward

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Mardoch

Disperse - Foreward

Postby Mardoch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 am

I know some of you had gotten into them in the brief window where they were aligned for a fest slot (still hoping and hoping it happens again). New album is coming out in February and I'm stoked.

The single, Stay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU40hfn6k08

outprogged42

Re: Disperse - Foreward

Postby outprogged42 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:06 pm

As long as the cited reason for their cancellation still exists, I don't think they'll be back. Unfortunately.

I think Disperse would have surprised some people despite being very proggy and experimental, and not appealing to as much of a wider audience due to being heavy, bombastic, theatrical, or flashy in the way Native Construct was (which was a reason that set worked so well despite being prog as all get-out). That said, this new song seems to be heading more in the experimental semi-metal prog direction of the first disc, which I do like but I find it more difficult to appreciate, from a prog metal standpoint as well.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:52 pm

I never saw the reason for the cancellation. You happen to remember it?

EDIT: I do remember that it was some sort of management swap drama thing. Obviously there was something more to it, but...no clue.

Anyway you're right that it does sound more like the debut than Living Mirrors, but I'm cool with both styles.
Last edited by Mardoch on Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:01 pm

There was probably a disagreement with the then-new manager, since it was mentioned that the agreement to perform was with the "ex-manager." No further details are being provided.

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Bumping to talk about the finished product.

I usually don't listen to prog of this type but I am very much enthralled by this disc. The technical and metal parts are largely gone and while some of the songs are definitely heavy enough to be metal, or at djent-grade heaviness, the primary focus is on jazzy chords and harmonics with a very soothing and somewhat effect-laden vocal delivery, somewhat like Paul Masvidal but not quite so distorted or robotic, more like a melodic instrument of its own. The bass and keys get a lot of room to play very atmospheric sections and the drumming is tastefully restrained. Most of the songs are quite short and some of them are quite pop-grade catchy. It's still quite complex but there is a smoother melodic sensibility to the material, and an emotional vulnerability, depicted by the voice in particular, is beginning to emerge that really sells this material for me.

It is known that the singer's lyrics are inspired by the loss of his mother and there is a sense of serene gratefulness mixed with wistful melancholy that permeates quite a bit of the record, and that I find very attractive. "Bubbles" in particular is a gorgeous piece of music that takes Disperse's sound fully into this new emotionally driven direction with a haunting chorus line.

Norén

Postby Norén » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 am

Album of the year so far for me. Have never really managed to get in to their previous releases, but this one is fantastic from start to finish.
CD ARTWORK -> www.progart.com

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:30 am

I do miss some of the outright heaviness of older material, but it seems like Jakub has decided to put most of that into his solo work. That being said I love this album. Reduced heaviness is really my only complaint about it. If you liked the first album and wondered what something more focused and mature in that vein would sound like, then Foreword is the album for you.

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 pm

This is good, but I thought Zytecki solo album was better. I think I agree with previous poster that some aggression/heaviness is missing.
btw, that Polish band with singer that guested on Zytecki's album is really good. Haven't seen much discussion on it, Proghma-C
https://youtu.be/30jcjY383aY

Return to “PM: Core”