The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream - full review

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Man Of Much Metal

The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream - full review

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello friends,

Me again, with another review for you all (hey, stop groaning at the back!)

I suspect there might be a few interested parties regarding this release, given the tremendous hype that has surrounded it.

If nothing else, the review contains links to a couple of the songs if anyone has yet to hear them.

All the best,

Matt

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/20 ... um-review/
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: http://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/

Sir Exar Kun

Re: The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream - full review

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:15 pm

I am a proud Neal Morse fanboy, despite the overly religious lyrics, and am a sucker for anything he is involved with. I am so intrigued with this album, based only on the hype..... Great to see another positive review, and I cannot wait to get my mitts on this. I ma avoiding listening to any clips, as this is one I want to take in in its entirety.

I might even make the trip to Cleveland in February to see this live.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Nos

Postby Nos » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 am

I like the album a fair bit, but I'm really struggling with it being 105 minutes long. I just can't listen to the whole thing at once. It's too much, and I find myself drifting away several times throughout. Taken in smaller doses, it's great.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 pm

I cannot believe that no one else is talking this one up ....... I am stunned at how good this is. All the better at 105 min for me, the more the merrier I always say......

I've never been a Neal Morse fan - meaning, it's not that I didn't like him, I just didn't care for the bands he was in and never really delved too deep into it...... consider me a fan, at least of this disc. Beautifully stunning. What really gets me is how someone can write that music for that long a time, and keep me interested the whole way. Sure, not every song is going to blow everyone away all the time, but for the most part I'm with it the whole way.....

And for the record - Portnoy has found the perfect home on this disc ......he is perfect for it.

As I'm listening to it - I'm saying to myself " this is how I want my prog rock to sound in the year 2016". The production is beyond stellar. It all adds up to another disc to add to my Top 10 list for the year...... I'm stunned.

Nos

Postby Nos » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:11 pm

LarryD wrote:I cannot believe that no one else is talking this one up .......

Well, between the review I wrote, the recaps for my album/song lists coming later in the month, and a few posts on boards like this, I think I'm talked out on it.

It's going to be on my Top Ten list though. Even with my minor gripes, there's more than enough amazing music for that honor.

Perhaps I'm a sucker, but I adore ballads like "Breath Of Angels". It's so damn good.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am

Saw them live last night... They play this album entirely!

I have to revisit the Neal Morse discography, but I think I'm pretty much with Larry's thoughts on this one (for the Neal Morse / Neal Morse Band discography, but not for Spock's Beard (some Spock's Beard albums also really click with me)). This album stands out from the other ones from Neal Morse solo / The Neal Morse Band. In the encore they played some stuff from the previous Neal Morse Band album and it was almost boring compare to "The Similitude Of A Dream" performance...

This album is a must for sure!
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:08 am

You guys who are seeing this show are so lucky ............ they aren't even coming within thought of this state .........I envy you guys, and I'm still playing this disc to death.

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Allow me to throw some fuel on the fire for Larry. Seeing them this Saturday in Atlanta!

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:21 am

Harvester wrote:Allow me to throw some fuel on the fire for Larry. Seeing them this Saturday in Atlanta!

***Enjoy bro !!!!! Please post your thoughts on the show when you can and allow me to live through you .............. :)

Stevie WOnder

Postby Stevie WOnder » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 am

LarryD wrote:
Harvester wrote:Allow me to throw some fuel on the fire for Larry. Seeing them this Saturday in Atlanta!

***Enjoy bro !!!!! Please post your thoughts on the show when you can and allow me to live through you .............. :)

They were here this week and my friends who went were mesmerized. Surprisingly small venue though. Something like 400 people.
"Manowar rules!!!" - Larry D

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm

LarryD wrote:I'm still playing this disc to death.

I find that surprising. Didn't think you were a Neal Morse kinda guy...
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Sparky wrote:

***I'm not -- but I love this disc. I can't put my finger on it, because I really don't care for Neal's voice, and normally that would be a deal breaker for me under any circumstances. Something about this disc makes it all gel together just perfectly for me ....... and I don't mind the spiritual themes as well, right now they are a good thing for me .......

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 pm

LarryD wrote:
Sparky wrote:

***I'm not -- but I love this disc. I can't put my finger on it, because I really don't care for Neal's voice, and normally that would be a deal breaker for me under any circumstances. Something about this disc makes it all gel together just perfectly for me ....... and I don't mind the spiritual themes as well, right now they are a good thing for me .......

Welcome to the fold, then. Yeah, this lineup just SMOKES. Last album as great too.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 am

That was one of the best prog shows I have ever seen. "Breath of Angels" was simply a spiritual experience. They were simply tight, crisp, and dead-on. The 5 part vocal harmonies were amazing as well. I can honestly say that I now plan on attending the next Morsefest as a result of this show.

On a side note, Neal is one of the warmest, genuine, & most gracious individuals I have ever met.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Harvester wrote:That was one of the best prog shows I have ever seen. "Breath of Angels" was simply a spiritual experience. They were simply tight, crisp, and dead-on. The 5 part vocal harmonies were amazing as well. I can honestly say that I now plan on attending the next Morsefest as a result of this show.

On a side note, Neal is one of the warmest, genuine, & most gracious individuals I have ever met.

Sounds like an amazing show! Cool you got to see it. Always great to hear good things about musicians such as Neal.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Return to “PM: Core”