When a demo version of a song is as good or better than the final version...

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

GaetanL

When a demo version of a song is as good or better than the final version...

Postby GaetanL » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 am

Threshold - Part Of The Chaos [Demo Version] With Glynn Morgan on vocals!
Japan Bonus Track of Livedelica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18wKonSfVck

Scorpions - Holiday [Demo Version]: 3 minutes longer!
Bonus Track of Lovedrive 50th Anniversary Edition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUpjy5pwo1o

Others?
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

Kez

Re: When a demo version of a song is as good or better than the final version...

Postby Kez » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 am

"Holiday" has been one of my old favorites for a long time. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea, as I haven't followed the band for years. Sure did love these few albums of this era, though.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: When a demo version of a song is as good or better than the final version...

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

All of Dream Theater's "Falling into Infinity" demos are better than the final versions..... Some of the songs are really quite different (You Not Me most notably). Plus, there were multiple demos recorded that didn't make the final cut, but were stronger than some of the songs that did (Raise the Knife???)
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Digital Ruin did a 4 song demo for Dwelling in the Out when they were shopping for a label. Those versions destroyed the final versions on the album.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Harvester wrote:Digital Ruin did a 4 song demo for Dwelling in the Out when they were shopping for a label. Those versions destroyed the final versions on the album.

*** Agree 100% -- and that's a BIG truth........

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:08 pm

LarryD wrote:
Harvester wrote:Digital Ruin did a 4 song demo for Dwelling in the Out when they were shopping for a label. Those versions destroyed the final versions on the album.

are these available anywhere? I'm guessing no.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:20 pm

T'ski wrote:
LarryD wrote:

*** I believe the band only produced 100 copies of them and passed them out ........ check around these parts for someone who can get a copy for you -- if you can't, email me and I'll dig my CDs out of the boxes and get one for you ......

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Yup!!!

The demo versions that The Quiet Room did for their first album was also even better than the album versions.
Claus Jensen

T'ski

Postby T'ski » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 pm

LarryD wrote:
T'ski wrote:
LarryD wrote:

*** I believe the band only produced 100 copies of them and passed them out ........ check around these parts for someone who can get a copy for you -- if you can't, email me and I'll dig my CDs out of the boxes and get one for you ......

that would be awesome Larry, thanks!

Kez

Postby Kez » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:All of Dream Theater's "Falling into Infinity" demos are better than the final versions..... Some of the songs are really quite different (You Not Me most notably). Plus, there were multiple demos recorded that didn't make the final cut, but were stronger than some of the songs that did (Raise the Knife???)

While I don't dislike FII like some do, I agree that the demos and unused songs from this era are worlds better than some tracks that made the final cut. My '99 Fan Club Christmas CD might get more spins than ANY DT studio release, save for I&W.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:50 pm

I think the Cloudscape debut is a good example. The demo versions of the tunes I heard were far better than what Roasting House produced IMO. They smoothed out some parts and eliminated the crunch factor. The opening tune As Light Leads the Way was sooooo badass prior to the album release and it was just neutered. I still love that album but it wasn't as good as it could have been based solely on production.

elendil

Postby elendil » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:04 pm

When I think about awesome demos from unsigned bands that didn't translate well to official album format, I think about an obscure gothic/dark metal band from Italy called Greyswan. They put out an excellent demo in 2001 or 2002 and then were signed and released an LP called _Thought-Tormented Minds_. It was a letdown, and the songs from the demo didn't sound as good either.

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Dali's Dilemma demos when they were still Chaos Theory were better than the final album, IMO. Especially the far shorter version of Living in Fear. I never was able to track those down again. :(

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Packgrog wrote:Dali's Dilemma demos when they were still Chaos Theory were better than the final album, IMO. Especially the far shorter version of Living in Fear. I never was able to track those down again. :(

*** I have them on cassette believe it or not ........ that's how old they are ..... I'm not sure I agree but it's a fair comparison.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:08 pm

I felt this way about most of the tracks on the Being album vs the EP from a few years ago. The EP versions weren't so fiddled with and fussed over, and they were better for it.

AllMediaReviews

Postby AllMediaReviews » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm

House of Fools - Need to Be Free, Until it's Over
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

keifling

Postby keifling » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:31 am

Airged L'amh and Greyhaven come to mind.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

100% agree. The bootleg live version I have from the I&W tour is so much better than the studio one.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Return to “PM: Core”