MICHAEL ROMEO - War Of The Worlds Pt. 1

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Guillaume

MICHAEL ROMEO - War Of The Worlds Pt. 1

Postby Guillaume » Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm

New lyric video is out.

John "JD" DeServio (bass) (Black Label Society)
John Macaluso (drums)
Rick Castellano (vocals) (anyone knows where this guy comes from?)

I like the song quite a bit, sounds more melodic than recent Sym X.
https://youtu.be/oAZn3qx8RQc

Sparky

Re: MICHAEL ROMEO - War Of The Worlds Pt. 1

Postby Sparky » Wed May 30, 2018 1:32 pm

I couple of observations:

- It's a Symphony X song. To hear Romeo tell it, though, it may be an outlier. Time will tell.
- That singer is like Russ Jr.
- Macaluso!!!!!!!!!!
- BASS IN YOUR FACE. Why the hell can't SX discs be mixed like this? I was convinced Romeo doesn't even know there's a bassist in his own band.
- Part 2 is already done, so I'd expect them to release fairly close together.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed May 30, 2018 1:47 pm

So when I saw yesterday he has a new solo disc coming out, I assumed it was instrumental again..... Wondering why this isn't simply the new Symphony X disc???
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Sir Exar Kun wrote:So when I saw yesterday he has a new solo disc coming out, I assumed it was instrumental again..... Wondering why this isn't simply the new Symphony X disc???

He makes it sound as though it's fairly diverse, so the released song may not be a great representation of the whole. I for one would love to hear him try some other things, because otherwise, yeah, just make new SX stuff.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed May 30, 2018 6:32 pm

The new tune definitely has me pumped up. He says it's a real mix of stuff...we'll see. I've got faith that he'll make it a coherent bombastic whole that works.

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Meh, that didn’t do anything for me - and neither did the singer ... pretty bland.
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:31 am

introclaus wrote:Meh, that didn’t do anything for me - and neither did the singer ... pretty bland.

***And I'm the grumpy old man of the board ? :?: :lol:

introclaus

Postby introclaus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:58 am

LarryD wrote:
introclaus wrote:Meh, that didn’t do anything for me - and neither did the singer ... pretty bland.

Not grumpy, just voicing my opinion.

So, if I say I don’t like something I’m grumpy? Okay, I’ll only state positive opinions from now on lol
Claus Jensen

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:57 am

introclaus wrote:
LarryD wrote:

Not grumpy, just voicing my opinion.

So, if I say I don’t like something I’m grumpy? Okay, I’ll only state positive opinions from now on lol

****You just hate everything ..... that makes you grumpy. :P Don't grump out on me now ....... your opinion is always welcome, you know that ......

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am

I'm going to buck the trend of grumpiness, by saying that I quite like the sound of this. I'd have preferred new SX material, but I'll take this!
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 am

Exactly my reaction
"Meh"
I wanted to hear him do something different,an instrumental,some exotic styled chord progressions,orchestration...
Instead it seems I got a case of blue balls in the form of a not as good imitation of his regular band.

Still have hope the rest of the disk is interesting because he is one of my favorite players
Tarja is a female woman

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 am

I 100% agree that it's a safe track for him to launch with. And the singer is...ok. Definitely not a Russ, but serviceable. Personally, though, Romeo's safe compositions still tickle my ears in a big way.

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

I'm mostly excited about this one having a drummer. The last one was rendered pretty lifeless and barely-listenable due to the drum machine.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:52 am

Sounds a lot like SX to me. Solid stuff. Singer certainly has a Russ vibe. Hoping for more diversity here, and having JM on drums is way cool.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

BADASS lyric video for the second single, Djinn.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-guitarist-michael-romeo-lyric-video-for-djinn-song/

Other than a Mid-Eastern breakdown, this is still very much in the vein of SX (shock). I'm still blown away by how audible the bass is - Romeo ain't exactly known for doing it justice in his mixes.

EDIT: Anyone? I thought it was pretty epic...

The Surfing Alien

Postby The Surfing Alien » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm

This sounds like recent (mediocre) Symphony X stuff. I was actually hoping for an instrumental album. His last one was great, though I haven't listened to it in ages.

BC

Postby BC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:32 pm

I’m enjoying the first two singles so far. Gotta agree with the Sym X comparisons, but I don’t see that as a bad thing.

He made a remark about Djinn, saying “fans will think I’m insane” when they hear it. The only thing I would find insane is if he had simultaneously played nose flute and banjo.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:30 pm

BC wrote:He made a remark about Djinn, saying “fans will think I’m insane” when they hear it. The only thing I would find insane is if he had simultaneously played nose flute and banjo.

Yeah, his whole 'this is wild stuff, man' thing is complete hyperbole so far. Dude, you're not so far off in the weeds that it's blowing our minds; so far, this sounds EXACTLY like something you'd do.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:56 pm

The vocals on Djinn are even more boring, but the music is great.

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:30 am

Mardoch wrote:The vocals on Djinn are even more boring, but the music is great.

'I need to find a singer that is a thin Russ.'
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

MJ Brady

Postby MJ Brady » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 am

It's sounds like Adagio, Time Requiem, Artension, Eniac Requiem, a bit of Darkology, Some Yngwie, Michael Harris, Majestic, Stratovarius, and also Symphony X
MJ

Harvester

Postby Harvester » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

I'd just like to add that "Believe" is fucking awesome. It could have fit seamlessly on "V." It's old school SX at it's finest.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm

I completely forgot to buy this album. Gonna fix that pretty shortly.

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

It's hard not to like a disk that has a song titled "F*cking Robot". LOL.
Güy

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Harvester wrote:I'd just like to add that "Believe" is fucking awesome. It could have fit seamlessly on "V." It's old school SX at it's finest.

Having just received my copy and after getting through the solo of Believe I have to say yeah...definitely could've been V material. It's got that classic guitar tone ringing out at the end of the solo that made me all feelsy.

Also Rick sounds WAY better delivering clean soaring vocals than his aggressive stuff. He's much better on the album as a whole than I was anticipating from the released singles.

dspot

Postby dspot » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I dig this album. It could've been a Sy X album easily and we'd all be happy. It's more orchestrated SyX, but it has that V feel as Glenn said. The vocalist is no Russ but he does a fine job. A nice surprise.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am

dspot wrote:I dig this album. It could've been a Sy X album easily and we'd all be happy. It's more orchestrated SyX, but it has that V feel as Glenn said. The vocalist is no Russ but he does a fine job. A nice surprise.

My feelings as well, though I can’t help feel Russ should have been singing this.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

My feelings as well, though I can’t help feel Russ should have been singing this.

For sure, but I'm almost glad he isn't...... I prefer the cleaner vocals to allowing "angry Russ" to take over.

Only thing I really miss on this album is Michael Pinella. There are several parts where I can almost hear his playing coming through.....

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 am

I agree with everything that has been said here ....... this is a bad ass disc for sure...... and I think the singer does a fantastic job. Romeo is such a madman.........

And.... Fucking Robots rules !!!!!!!!! :P

***Update - just upped this to "fucking awesome" status ......... Romeo is killer on all accounts, and I'm loving this singer !!!!!!! Just wow !!!!!! I did not expect to be blown away like this ........

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:

For sure, but I'm almost glad he isn't...... I prefer the cleaner vocals to allowing "angry Russ" to take over.

Only thing I really miss on this album is Michael Pinella. There are several parts where I can almost hear his playing coming through.....

I get that and agree there, though Russ did tone that down on the last SX disc.

Yea man Pinella could have really added to this one. It’s more on the melodic side.

Oh and Romeo’s playing... damn! As always. Lol

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Right into the Top 10 ........ someone who is already on the list is leaving to make room, and with Redemption, Seventh Wonder, Kingcrow and the fourth one, this list is going to change drastically..........

I do not see Romeo's disc moving out the Top 10 as I'm loving this one to death ........... anyone else in love with this disc like I am ? It has taken me over completely.........

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Right into the Top 10 ........ someone who is already on the list is leaving to make room, and with Redemption, Seventh Wonder, Kingcrow and the fourth one, this list is going to change drastically..........

I do not see Romeo's disc moving out the Top 10 as I'm loving this one to death ........... anyone else in love with this disc like I am ? It has taken me over completely.........

I do, but having gotten it in the same shipment as Redemption it's not getting anywhere near the play time it would otherwise. Like you said, any other year this is a high contender, but damn...... The hits just keep pouring in.

Have you heard Redemption yet?

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Have you heard Redemption yet?

***My house is being re-modeled, and all of my stereo gear is stored away ........... I can only stream, and I've been streaming the Romeo disc non-stop, and only streamed the Redemption once, and I can't find the time to just sit down and listen to it without interruption ....... What I heard thru the first passage I loved -- but I can't seem to get back to it because of the obvious. We will be in a hotel all next week as they finish up the house - so it won't get any better, and I can't put it on my MP3 player as I don't have the disc yet - so I'm screwed...... but this weekend, before we leave, I'm planning on streaming it at least 2-3 times .... so that will give me a better feel for it..... I heard it when Nick when played it for us last year at PP, but it has taken on a whole new sound and meaning almost a year later........ :wink:

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Symphony X was always a band that I loved but only listened to every now and then - they've never been a band to *consume* my listening time over a given period of time.

Having said that, this disc is in continual rotation. I don't think there's a note out of place on the whole thing. For this style, it's perfect.

And Romeo's productions have NEVER sounded this good. That's just icing on the cake, but it's nice to hear a bass player throwing down underneath Romeo...

Packgrog

Postby Packgrog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 am

My impressions are positive overall. I think that if the singer (who I'd take over Labrie any damn day) just changed his pronunciation a little, he'd sound much better, and the album as a whole would have improved as a result.'

For example, in the song "Differences", he keeps pronouncing it "diff-rin-siz", so his singing is all stuck in his sinuses and sounds kind of wimpy. If he were to simply change his pronunciation to "diff-ren-sez" he'd be singing more from the diaphragm, and would start sounding kind of badass. That one little change would have made a huge difference (heh).

Return to “PM: Core”