Tomorrow's Eve / Mirror of Creation III .......

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

LarryD
Site Admin

Tomorrow's Eve / Mirror of Creation III .......

Postby LarryD » Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 am

How long has it been since a Tomorrow's Eve disc ?? Well, Tales from Serpentia (the great Tales of Serpentia I might add) was released in 2008 ......... :shock: :!:

Ten years later, Tomorrow's Eve comes flying back with their new Mirror of Creation III disc ...... was it worth the wait ? And should you bother ? The answer is a resounding HELL YES !!!!! This band has not skipped a beat, and you'd never know they were gone for so long ...... Three members remain in tact, and now you can add in John Macaluso on drums, and Mike LePond on bass that fill out the bottom end ....... of note, Martin LeMar sounds as good as he ever did, and I stress that you'd never know he has been missing in action for so long ...... so what's the difference here from any other T-Eve disc ? In one word - aggression. To me, T-Eve has always been about being a melodic / prog metal outfit with aggressive vocals......add in the aggression to the music, so much more than before, and you have the "new and improved" version of T-Eve. And, if you have been wanting more aggression from this band, they have answered your call .....heavy, tight, nasty, aggressive melodic prog metal is how I'd describe this disc.....

Two passes through and it's a no brainer for being added to the Top 10 list of the year....... I'd be very surprised if someone came along and said - " yeah yeah another T-eve disc, we've heard this all before" ..... I'd debate that to the end.... this is a heavier, more aggressive, more diverse disc from one of our favorite "underground" bands.....hopefully with this disc, they will be brought more to the forefront, but releasing a disc 10 years later is not helping their cause......

For Tomorrow's Eve fans -- this is buy or die material ..........

Hearing Aid Man

Re: Tomorrow's Eve / Mirror of Creation III .......

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 am

A couple passes thru here as well & this one already seems likely to join Between the Buried & Me for my favorite CD released in 2018. At least until Seventh wonder arrives :wink: .

Guillaume

Postby Guillaume » Mon May 28, 2018 12:43 pm

I was never a big TE fan but I really enjoy this album. Excellent prog metal stuff. Vocals are better than what I recall from this band.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Hearing Aid Man wrote:A couple passes thru here as well & this one already seems likely to join Between the Buried & Me for my favorite CD released in 2018. At least until Seventh wonder arrives :wink: .

*** I knew you were looking forward to this one as much as I was ..... glad you're digging it ........... right into the Top 10. Incredible comeback for a band.......

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Guillaume wrote:I was never a big TE fan but I really enjoy this album. Excellent prog metal stuff. Vocals are better than what I recall from this band.

***Glad you're digging it Guillaume --- I know you're not a prog guy -- but I was hoping that this disc did something for you ....... Martin is bad ass, and has been since day one....... He is a bit more aggressive on this disc, as is the music, but he has been superb since day one ........ he and Michael Andersson (Cloudscape) are two singers I always wish I could see live ...... Cloudscape is no more, so I doubt that will happen - but I still hold out hope for Martin ........... :wink:

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I've played this ( 3 ) times straight thru this morning ....... my wife finally said, " is this same disc " ??? hehehehe ...... this disc is so bad ass ........ other than the Ostura, this is some of the best prog metal I've heard this year........ how they keep this so melodic and yet so aggressive is beyond me ....... this combination is so killer, and Martin's vocals just seal the greatness of this disc ........ my highest recommendation, and I apologize to those who have to keep reading about how great this disc is....... any fan of this band, or someone looking for band that does prog metal a bit different without wussing out, check this one out ........ they were on a roll until they took their 10 year break, but this disc should put them right back into the prog metal spotlight...hopefully. Any non-prog metal head looking to head bang to some prog metal who thinks it's not possible, check this out as well .......... Each and every song has blown me away - after 3 full spins, I have not had the urge to hit the FF button...... this disc is outstanding !!!!!!!!

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Mon May 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Hmmmm
Aggressive prog.....sounds like something I might like
Tarja is a female woman

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 am

LarryD wrote:of note, Martin LeMar sounds as good as he ever did, and I stress that you'd never know he has been missing in action for so long

Gotta bone to pick here... LeMar laid down vocals for Lalu in 13 and Mekong Delta in 14 (not counting whatever Mekong Delta's done live). He's hardly been missing for any substantial stretch.

I'm still waiting on my copy of Mirror 3, but I expect it to be just as awesome as the samples hinted.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 am

Mardoch wrote:
LarryD wrote:of note, Martin LeMar sounds as good as he ever did, and I stress that you'd never know he has been missing in action for so long

Gotta bone to pick here... LeMar laid down vocals for Lalu in 13 and Mekong Delta in 14 (not counting whatever Mekong Delta's done live). He's hardly been missing for any substantial stretch.

I'm still waiting on my copy of Mirror 3, but I expect it to be just as awesome as the samples hinted.

***MIssing from Tomorrow's Eve --- I loved Lalu, and don't care for Mekong Delta - but for me, the total LeMar package has been missing for a long time for this fanboy...... :P

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Played this again twice today --- just as awesome as I played it to death yesterday........ if Ostura isn't your thing, and you're looking for something to kick start the prog metal bug again halfway thru the year, this one should do it for you hands down. I loved Tales from Serpentia - and I loved Mirror of Creation Part 2 - but this one could be better than all of them, and that's saying something........

What a brilliant piece of prog metal - and further, what a brilliant come back after so long away from us ........ superb prog metal.

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 pm

LarryD wrote:Played this again twice today --- just as awesome as I played it to death yesterday........ if Ostura isn't your thing, and you're looking for something to kick start the prog metal bug again halfway thru the year, this one should do it for you hands down. I loved Tales from Serpentia - and I loved Mirror of Creation Part 2 - but this one could be better than all of them, and that's saying something........

What a brilliant piece of prog metal - and further, what a brilliant come back after so long away from us ........ superb prog metal.

Got mine in today and just ripped it. I'll probably listen to the whole trio tomorrow at work. Can't wait.

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:50 am

Can't say as though I am as over the moon as Mr. Larry about this, but it IS really a very solid disc. It's been several years since I last played Serpentia, so maybe my memories are askew, but this feels a little less angry, less heavy than that one did..... Larry referred to this one as aggressive, and that's not quite how I would describe it. There's definitely a heavy guitar tone to it, but it's well tempered by the keyboards. The keys REALLY make the disc for me, as they are prominent and well placed throughout.

Front to back, this is a very traditional prog album that feels about 15 years out of place, but in a very good way..... Every song on here is solid, and the album feels (unlike Arena) longer than it maybe is..... Songs are well paced, reminiscent a bit of the way Vanden Plas writes material.... No rush to the songs, letting them all play out naturally.

Looking forward to revisiting this later, as this is not a disc to be absorbed in one or two spins.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am

Sir Exar Kun wrote:Can't say as though I am as over the moon as Mr. Larry about this, but it IS really a very solid disc. It's been several years since I last played Serpentia, so maybe my memories are askew, but this feels a little less angry, less heavy than that one did..... Larry referred to this one as aggressive, and that's not quite how I would describe it. There's definitely a heavy guitar tone to it, but it's well tempered by the keyboards. The keys REALLY make the disc for me, as they are prominent and well placed throughout.

Front to back, this is a very traditional prog album that feels about 15 years out of place, but in a very good way..... Every song on here is solid, and the album feels (unlike Arena) longer than it maybe is..... Songs are well paced, reminiscent a bit of the way Vanden Plas writes material.... No rush to the songs, letting them all play out naturally.

Looking forward to revisiting this later, as this is not a disc to be absorbed in one or two spins.

I agree with everything you said with the exception that my enthusiasm about those attributes hews closer to Larry's level. It's a really good album and you wouldn't know it's been a decade since they put one out. Here's to hoping they end up with a Fest slot soonish.

EDIT: After having just listened to the Mirror Trilogy in sequence and then Serpentia I would say that the aggression level for Mirror is pretty consistent. Serpentia is the outlier with much more aggression, but I'd wager that's to match the pretty dark lyrical content. Also, this band's whole catalog is just really solid.

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:54 am

Very excited for this one. Everything I heard so far has been great. My copy is on the way.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:57 pm

I feel that this release is more aggressive than Tales of Serp, but we can debate that later........ right now, this disc is totally kicking my ass.......and that's something I need right now .......

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:39 pm

What I heard this morning was pretty damn good, I was just pissed off I ended up with the bullshit Amazon CDR. it's that on demand crap that I hadn't seen before I pushed the one click purchase button. I'll spin on the way home from work today but Im heated that I wasn't paying attention and will have to purchase again.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

I was just pissed off I ended up with the bullshit Amazon CDR. it's that on demand crap that I hadn't seen before.

I ended up with a CDR too when I bought Warrior - Code of Life. I didn't see the little note or I wouldn't have paid $13+ for it. :evil:

Evegit

Postby Evegit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:08 am

Hi, this is Rainer Grund of TOMORROW´S EVE.
My apologize for this CDR thing on Amazon. Many messages reach us about it!
Our distributor for the USA has talked to Amazon many times, still no change!
So let me just inform you that our CD is available in the US also here (in the original):
LaserCD, ImportMusicWarehouse, ZiaRecords, FYE, Barnes & Noble, BestBuy, Walmart and more soon...

Thanks to all for you support and discussions here on pmrising.com
We always have an eye on it.

Greetings from TE

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Got my copy a few days ago. Really loving this.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:09 pm

I refuse to let this post go down on the list ........ This disc has surpassed my love of Tales from Serpentia......... it doesn't get much better than this for an example of how I want my prog metal (Dream Theater excluded of course) ........ I've been playing this non stop now and each listen feels like it's the first time I'm hearing it.... I'm not sure how long that will last before I burn it out, but I'm gambling that it won't.

Something about Martin's vocals are really getting to me more so than in the past .... I am loving what he is doing here. I played the Ostura again today as well - and I do believe we have a fight on our hands....... These two discs are definitely my top 2 discs of the year so far ........but with the mood I've been in lately, the Tomorrows Eve is doing the trick perfectly for me .....

Man Of Much Metal

Postby Man Of Much Metal » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Good evening everyone,

I finally got around to putting a review together - here it is for those who wish to have a read:

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/07/14/t ... um-review/

Cheers,

Matt
Matt
The Man of Much Metal
The Blog Of Much Metal: https://manofmuchmetal.com/

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Man Of Much Metal wrote:Good evening everyone,

I finally got around to putting a review together - here it is for those who wish to have a read:

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/07/14/t ... um-review/

Cheers,

Matt

*** This disc is fighting so hard with Ostura to become my #1 disc so far ......and at times, I deem it so. I love both disc - each different in their own way, but right now T-Eve is pushing my mood buttons just right, and Martin conveys those lyrics exactly the way I feel ....... this is exactly the type of prog metal I dream about .....and not many bands are doing this anymore, sad to say........after hearing that Kingcrow song, I may have another fight on my hands, but I'll wait for that disc to come out instead of wonder about the outcome ......... I do know that this is one, bad ass year for music..........

Sir Exar Kun

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

*** This disc is fighting so hard with Ostura to become my #1 disc so far ......and at times, I deem it so. I love both disc - each different in their own way, but right now T-Eve is pushing my mood buttons just right, and Martin conveys those lyrics exactly the way I feel ....... this is exactly the type of prog metal I dream about .....and not many bands are doing this anymore, sad to say........after hearing that Kingcrow song, I may have another fight on my hands, but I'll wait for that disc to come out instead of wonder about the outcome ......... I do know that this is one, bad ass year for music..........

Don't forget Redemption and Seventh Wonder! It's entirely possible my top three could all get bumped out in the next couple of months!

I'm still hanging onto Amorphis as number one, but am going to revisit Arena and Tomorrow's Eve this week.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Don't forget Redemption and Seventh Wonder! It's entirely possible my top three could all get bumped out in the next couple of months!

I'm still hanging onto Amorphis as number one, but am going to revisit Arena and Tomorrow's Eve this week.

***Agree -- and also the Kingcrow, that song was amazing and tells me the fight is on !!!!!!! Let me know how you do with the Arena again - it has become godly to these ears, especially Poisoned, Scars, and the long track ....... definitely Top 5 for me.

Return to “PM: Core”