Redemption - Long Night's Journey Into Day (July 27, 2018)

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

outprogged42

Redemption - Long Night's Journey Into Day (July 27, 2018)

Postby outprogged42 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 pm

We've known the album title since PPUSA and some of us were able to hear demoed songs or the full album. But now we can all enjoy hearing the full glory of the production in the newly released single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjrM0wsEK5Y

I must say it took a couple of listens to appreciate what deep feeling and angst Tom brings to this song, which appears to be one of their darker and more intense songs lyrically, as I could pick out 90-95% of the words. It's a very heavy and metallic number reminiscent of "Thirty Silver" and I can safely wager it will be played in Atlanta.

I am running a bit down on cash this summer, but this disc will now definitely be one of the few purchases I make. Though I would have bought it blind because it's Redemption.

Sir Exar Kun

Re: Redemption - Long Night's Journey Into Day (July 27, 2018)

Postby Sir Exar Kun » Tue May 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Anxious to hear this in full, and really trying to reserve judgement until then. I love Redemption. I love Evergrey. I'm not sure I love combing the two. That being said, if there are two great songwriters out there that can pull it off it's Nick and Tom, so we shall see.
Capitalism: God's way of separating the smart from the poor. -Ron Swanson

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 pm

+1 - All of the above.

Hearing Aid Man

Postby Hearing Aid Man » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

As skeptical as I was I really like this tune. :o

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 pm

I feel like the vocals are a bit low in the mix, but it does sound good. I'm excited to hear more.

Random Axe

Postby Random Axe » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm not sure what or how to feel with this. It's obviously amazing and I agree the youtube sample has the vox too low but Im sure that's not how it'll be on disc. As impactful as Nicks music has been on me over the last decade plus I was torn with a new vocalist to deliver it.

i was waiting for Ray to jump in on the first verse out of habit and muscle memory. It was odd for a couple of bars until it really clicked in my head. I never once thought of or considered Evergrey, I just thought Tom sounded excellent. It sounds like a natural pairing much like with Alder.

Yeah, this is gonna be special...

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed May 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Random Axe wrote:I'm not sure what or how to feel with this. It's obviously amazing and I agree the youtube sample has the vox too low but Im sure that's not how it'll be on disc. As impactful as Nicks music has been on me over the last decade plus I was torn with a new vocalist to deliver it.

i was waiting for Ray to jump in on the first verse out of habit and muscle memory. It was odd for a couple of bars until it really clicked in my head. I never once thought of or considered Evergrey, I just thought Tom sounded excellent. It sounds like a natural pairing much like with Alder.

Yeah, this is gonna be special...

*** This is exactly how I felt when I first heard it ....... then I heard Tom sing on some of the songs, and I felt it was a natural pairing.

GaetanL

Postby GaetanL » Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 pm

I probably will not listen to this single alone. I think I prefer to wait and hear the whole album...
Gaétan
Musique Progressive Dynamique
Site consacré au métal progressif, au néo-prog et au hard rock
http://www.musiqueprog.net

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I wasn’t sure this would work either, but hearing it at PP quickly changed my mind.
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm

ToddS wrote:I wasn’t sure this would work either, but hearing it at PP quickly changed my mind.

Same here and I was there that nigbt...

This sounds great
Tarja is a female woman

BC

Postby BC » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Mardoch wrote:I feel like the vocals are a bit low in the mix, but it does sound good. I'm excited to hear more.

I wonder why Nick keeps doing that, putting the vocals so low? The vocals were also very low in the mix on This Mortal Coil. Tom still sounds great, and I have high hopes for the rest of the album.
Is a song titled "Everybody Dies" supposed to sound so happy?
Doom, gloom, the World goes boom! None will be spared, so don't assume. Not ragged clothed nor silver spooned. You're all the same when extinction looms!

Mardoch

Postby Mardoch » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm

BC wrote:
Mardoch wrote:I feel like the vocals are a bit low in the mix, but it does sound good. I'm excited to hear more.

I wonder why Nick keeps doing that, putting the vocals so low? The vocals were also very low in the mix on This Mortal Coil. Tom still sounds great, and I have high hopes for the rest of the album.

The music on This Mortal Coil is awesome, but the mix is not pleasing to my ears so I rarely listen to it. I hope this isn't a repeat of that.

arnavut

Postby arnavut » Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 am

Knowing their closeness to Glenn and Glenn's being huge fan of them plus their PP involvement, I would not be surprised this pairing was
Glenn's doing :)

Redemption is automatic blind buy for me. I also do not listen any samples first glimpses etc. I get the album I sit down and let the whole album take over me.

First post here. Came from PP forum and attendee since PP2, Seems like , more activity on this board than PP board 8)

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

arnavut wrote:Knowing their closeness to Glenn and Glenn's being huge fan of them plus their PP involvement, I would not be surprised this pairing was

Redemption is automatic blind buy for me. I also do not listen any samples first glimpses etc. I get the album I sit down and let the whole album take over me.

First post here. Came from PP forum and attendee since PP2, Seems like , more activity on this board than PP board 8)

***Welcome aboard ....... good to have you here....... you have come to the right place if you want to talk prog / power music......... obviously you are in good company as we are Redemption fans to the max........ enjoy !!!!

arnavut

Postby arnavut » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 pm

LarryD wrote:
***Welcome aboard ....... good to have you here....... you have come to the right place if you want to talk prog / power music......... obviously you are in good company as we are Redemption fans to the max........ enjoy !!!!

Thanks!

ToddS
Site Admin

Postby ToddS » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 pm

arnavut wrote:Knowing their closeness to Glenn and Glenn's being huge fan of them plus their PP involvement, I would not be surprised this pairing was

Welcome to the forum!
"My songs become my freedom, and my freedom turns to gold"

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am

Mardoch wrote:
BC wrote:

The music on This Mortal Coil is awesome, but the mix is not pleasing to my ears so I rarely listen to it. I hope this isn't a repeat of that.

It's a Jacob Hansen product so you can expect that not to be the case!

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

To be honest, I find mid-tempo Evergrey (which is basically ALL Evergrey anymore) tedious. If you put Tom on something that musically beats ass, I'm there in a heartbeat.

I dig the song. It's a good thing I don't really hear lyrics - I suspect it's some Ayn Rand-ish bullshit, but I'm not sure. Tom sounds GREAT - the YouTube comments are so out of whack, it's not even funny.

nvandyk

Postby nvandyk » Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Sparky wrote:It's a good thing I don't really hear lyrics - I suspect it's some Ayn Rand-ish bullshit

Right...because so many of my lyrics are about that lol :roll:

It’s about insecure people being jerks.

More importantly, I’m glad you like the tune and Tom’s performance! I hope you like the rest of the CD!

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 pm

nvandyk wrote:
Sparky wrote:It's a good thing I don't really hear lyrics - I suspect it's some Ayn Rand-ish bullshit

More importantly, I’m glad you like the tune and Tom’s performance! I hope you like the rest of the CD!

*hi fives*
Tarja is a female woman

arnavut

Postby arnavut » Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am

ToddS wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

Sparky

Postby Sparky » Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am

nvandyk wrote:

I stand corrected, sir. *Really* looking forward to this.
I'll be the judge of what's good and what isn't, thank you... ;)

Return to “PM: Core”