Fates Warning and Divine Regale @ Boston, MA

The Heart of the Prog/Power Movement

Moderators: TROY or maybe DEBBIE, Stevie WOnder, Digital Man

Manuel Cedeno

Fates Warning and Divine Regale @ Boston, MA

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Flying up to Boston tomorrow to catch Fates Warning and Divine Regale. These guys will never come to Florida. I had some miles to use and loved the last album s why not. Fates will tour closer to me but not with Divine Regale; never thought I would see DR live (Underworld alone is worth the price of admission).

Anyone else going? I'll check back after the show to share my thoughts. Have a great weekend everyone.

LarryD
Site Admin

Re: Fates Warning and Divine Regale @ Boston, MA

Postby LarryD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Manuel --

I "should" be going to this show, but I won't be making it ....... I'm not too keen on the venue, but it's only about 1.5 hrs from where I live. I should make the trip just for Divine Regale if nothing else, and seeing both of those bands would kick total ass........ alas, I won't be there - had I know sooner that you were making this trip, I would have planned otherwise for sure.......

Please give a report when you can - and let me know that I should have been there, instead of making other plans ............ :cry:

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Bummer, sorry you can't make it Larry. It would have been great to see you outside of Progpower after all these years. I would have told you before but this was a last minute decision; I made up my mind yesterday and got the tickets last night.

See you in Atlanta buddy.

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:34 am

Manuel Cedeno wrote:Bummer, sorry you can't make it Larry. It would have been great to see you outside of Progpower after all these years. I would have told you before but this was a last minute decision; I made up my mind yesterday and got the tickets last night.

See you in Atlanta buddy.

***Manuel -- how about you party with us in the Room of Death this year ? We see little of you during the fest - maybe it's time for Stevie to indoctrinate you to the Room of Death and hang with us this year ???

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Stevie invited me the last couple of years but I've been bringing work with me and had to head to the room to work on the laptop whenever I had time. This year is 100% vacation so count on it. Cheers

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Manuel Cedeno wrote:Stevie invited me the last couple of years but I've been bringing work with me and had to head to the room to work on the laptop whenever I had time. This year is 100% vacation so count on it. Cheers

***Excellent !!!!!!! :twisted:

Chris R

Postby Chris R » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Manuel Cedeno wrote:Stevie invited me the last couple of years but I've been bringing work with me and had to head to the room to work on the laptop whenever I had time. This year is 100% vacation so count on it. Cheers

Better bring a spare liver
Tarja is a female woman

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Chris R wrote:

Better bring a spare liver

****Well - yeah !!!!!! That's a given ............ :wink:

Anderson

Postby Anderson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:37 am

Manuel Cedeno wrote:Flying up to Boston tomorrow to catch Fates Warning and Divine Regale. These guys will never come to Florida. I had some miles to use and loved the last album s why not. Fates will tour closer to me but not with Divine Regale; never thought I would see DR live (Underworld alone is worth the price of admission).

Anyone else going? I'll check back after the show to share my thoughts. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hey Manuel - Wow all the way from Florida, hope you enjoyed the show! We had a blast, the crowd was awesome. Wish I had seen this post earlier I would have tried to say Hi.

Thanks!
Chris - DR
facebook.com/divineregale

LarryD
Site Admin

Postby LarryD » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 am

Manuel ? You have a report on the show ?

Manuel Cedeno

Postby Manuel Cedeno » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 pm

WTF??? I wrote a report here day after the show during my return flight (or at least I thought I did). My bad, must have skipped submitting it or something. That's the second time this happens when posting from my mobile. Oh well, here I go:

I was a bit worried as I read negative comments about the venue but I have no complaints. This is by no means a world class venue but the sound was decent and the atmosphere was phenomenal; although booze and low expectations may have played a part in enhancing the experience.

Divine Regale's set was short but sweet. They only played like 5 songs and everything was new material with the exception of "Underworld". I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to hear more classics but I get it, they were the opener, had time constraints and wanted to showcase the new stuff. Dwight's voice is in top form; sounds like back in the day but a bit warmer in my opinion. The new material sounds very promising and I hope it materializes into an album soon as they've been working on it for a few years now. The new album will be titled "Ghosts in every room" and from what I perceived it will be appreciated around here.

Did not care for the other band in the bill. Then came Fates to wrap it up and just gave everything they had. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that it was the last show of the US leg but this was hands down my favorite Fates concert so far. The setlist was well balanced and included at least one song from every single album since No Exit, with four tracks from Theories of Flight as the emphasis in the set. The new material is even better live. Sounds heavier and elevates its emotional intensity. "The Light And Shade..." is one of my favorites from the album and it just kicked my ass live; it will probably be a staple of their shows for a while. The band's performance was solid as expected and they look like they love playing this new stuff. Bobby J is a monster, probably one of the best drummers in the biz. Ray does a great job of adapting the older material to his current range without disservicing it, but is in the newer stuff were he thrives.

I can recall several goosebumps moments. Too many to mention but I'm glad I took the trip. The night was very special for me and it was great to revisit Boston after over a decade.

Fate's setlist for those that are interested https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fates-wa ... 43ba0.html

Anderson wrote:Hey Manuel - Wow all the way from Florida, hope you enjoyed the show! We had a blast, the crowd was awesome. Wish I had seen this post earlier I would have tried to say Hi.

Thanks!
Chris - DR

Hey Chris, loved the show, can't wait for the new album and catch you guys live in the future with an extended set. Both the EP and Ocean Mind hold a sweet spot in my musical spirit. Thanks for the music!!!

Testofwills

Postby Testofwills » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:30 pm

They were amazing as well in Toronto..although we didn't get to see D>R but this was the best show from fates that I have seen over the 6 times I seen them..The whole band smoked and ill say for me it was a blast to see Joey play..guys a monster on bass... 8)

bjoneill74

Postby bjoneill74 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 am

Divine Regale? Wow.. Hadn't heard that band name since they last toured with Fates Warning (APSoG Tour??).
Glad to see they are still around.

I have the cd from that era. Do they have anything more recent?

outprogged42

Postby outprogged42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

I have seen Fates Warning three times now (with Ray) and every time is better than the last one. On the No Exit cut he actually sounded like he did in the 80's tonally. The new material was note-perfect to the album. The setlist was fairly typical but with a couple of surprises, e.g. A Handful of Doubt is not a common song to hear.

Also, I won't quickly forget the experience of seeing most of the show sitting next to a mom, dad and their seven-year-old daughter who looked like she was having the time of her life!

Digital Man

Postby Digital Man » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I really hope Fates does another leg of this tour and hits Colorado. I'd love to see them again. They blew me away at PP. I regret missing their last stop in Colorado but it was the day before a new project at work arrived.
Güy

Return to “PM: Core”